Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Best Parts of My Week: 9/22/14--9/26/14

Hi everyone,
     Every once in awhile, I am reminded why it is so important to find the positive moments in each day.  This was one of those weeks....There were some great moments to remember!

.....Sometimes my classes arrive just as the morning announcements are being made.  This week my class arrived and we said the Pledge of Allegiance in the hallway.  Another student noticed and stopped in his tracks to say the Pledge too!

.....We spent time outside this week as we began a soccer unit.  One of my second graders was so excited to share his soccer experience with me.  He had a smile on his face as he talked about how he scored a goal and I was so glad that he wanted to share this moment with me!


.....At the beginning of the first class involving soccer skills with my 3rd grade - 5th grade classes I asked students how many played soccer on a team and many of them raised their hand.  I was impressed not only with the level of skill, but the students willingness to help others!  One of the activities involved students taking turns being a player and a coach.  The coach's job was to give feedback to the player regarding his/her dribbling skill.  So many of the students were so positive in their feedback and comments to their player!


.....Our current PE Password is "Flexibility".  After discussing the meaning of the word as it relates to PE, I asked my students if they knew another meaning for the word since this is a word with multiple meanings.  A third grade student said that he thought another meaning was to have flexibility in your brain.  When I asked him to tell me more he said that flexibility in your brain means thinking of things in many different ways!  Now that's thinking out of the box!

.....As I was returning from lunch one day this week a fifth grade student was waiting for his teacher to pick up the class.  He was munching on carrots and seemed to be enjoying them!

.....My primary students were learning about and practicing offensive and defensive skills as part of our soccer unit.  The game involved taking turns guarding a cone to practice defense and dribbling and kicking a soccer ball to knock down a cone.  One of my students said: "This is great!  I think I want to do this everyday!"

.....Friday afternoon I was chatting with some students who were waiting to be picked up.  School was closed the day before due to a religious holiday.  I asked students if they had played outside on their day off.  One student remarked that of course he did because it was Nickelodeon's World-Wide Day of Play!  Who knew?  I am glad that he did!


....I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  North Park Physical Education