Monday, October 6, 2014

The Best Parts of My Week - 9/29/14--10/3/14


Hi everyone,
     The gymnasium floor at my school has been under repair and as a result we have had to be flexible and make changes on the fly.  This week included a bit of a "PE Potpurri"  but there were still a bunch of "best parts!"

.....Early in the week we were unable to access any equipment and relied on classroom play equipment and the playground for our activity.  My rule for inclusion is that if anyone asks to join an activity the answer is YES.  I have made this very clear to my students over the years and the majority understand and include everyone.  It is always heartwarming to see this in action and this week I was able to see it in action quite a few times!

......During one of our outdoor activity days I noticed a group that was interested in learning how to throw a football.  This group included boys and girls and one of the boys was teaching the group how to throw.   He was being a great coach!

..... It's time for students to turn on completed Fitness Calendars and this week I received more than 50!  It was wonderful to create the first list of Fitness Fanatics!

.....Spontaneous "Thank you Mrs. Robelee" comments on the way back to class made my day!

.....After all these years I have seen the "evolution of play" if you will, in terms of boys and girls playing together.  As I observed my students this week I noticed that the boys and girls played together without a second thought.  This included jump roping, basketball, football, soccer and more!  ( a definite "PE Potpurri"!). How great is that! 

.....I was outside on the playground during one of our "no access to the gym or equipment" days this week.  One of my primary classes told me about a pole that had come loose.  I climbed up to check it out.  One of the students asked "How did you get up there?"  They were amazed!  Another asked "How are you going to get down?"  There were many possible options so I asked the student to choose for me.  She chose the "twisty" tube slide.  I had actually never been down that slide.  It was fun!

.....Physical Eddie is being hosted by a third grade class.  They brought him to PE this week and included him in every activity! 

.....As a third grade class was lining up at the end of class there was a discussion about being first.  It is no surprise that students want to be first and while some classes have line leaders this one did not.  With a smile on my face I asked students if there was a prize waiting in the classroom for those returning first.  Of course there was not but one student raised her hand and said that the real prize here was learning PE!!!!!!  That comment will make me smile for a VERY long time!

     I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  North Park Physical Education