Saturday, September 13, 2014

The Best Parts of My Week - 9/8/14--9/12/14

Hi everyone,
     It was the first full week of school and it was a full week in more ways then one!

.....Our kindergarten students began on Monday!  It was so much fun to see them arrive!  Many were confident and excited, a few were a bit hesitant, but all were ready to begin!

.....Students in grades 3-5 create class PE contracts.  This week students told me the rules that were important to them so that the contracts could be created.  I am always impressed with the mature responses!

.....As a school we have increased our focus on the creation of goals and I decided that I would ask my fourth graders to come up with a PE goal this year.  I assigned this as "PE homework" after students had a chance to "walk and talk" about the goals with a friend.  I half expected a groan or two when I told students about the assignment but there were no groans at all!  In fact, students seemed eager to complete this assignment and more than 95% of students handed it in on time!

.....5th grade students completed a "How did you Play 60?" bulletin board this week.  They were busy this summer!  

.....I was able to introduce the use of pedometers to my third grade students this week.  The excitement was incredible!  The look on their faces when they see how many steps they move during PE is priceless!

.....I always smile when a student leaves PE saying "this was fun!" ; no matter how many times it happens!

.....We finished the week with our first Healthy Highway assembly of the year!  Our students were so well behaved!  We introduced Courage Crossroads, I was able to share a book I wrote about Fitness Frankie's summer adventure, and our students learned about something called the Four Step Apology.  I had a chance to talk with students later and they enjoyed it!

....I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  North Park Physical Education