Sunday, September 21, 2014

The Best Parts of My Week - 9/15/14--9/19/14

Hi everyone,
     As September moves right along, and we are enjoying the full effects of Fall, our students are settling in and we are having a great start to the school year!

.....This was our week for Meet the Teacher nights.  We have two separate nights; one for students in grades K-2 and another for students in grades 3-5.  I always enjoy these nights because I have the opportunity to talk about my program and meet the parents of so many of my students.  We had a great turnout and, as usual, I met some parents who were my former students!

.....Pedometer use is a significant part of my program and it is always exciting to see students use them for the first time.  This week some third grade students were amazed at their step counts!

.....A fifth grade student worked very hard to get 3,000 steps during one PE class!  Students were challenged to get 2,000 steps together as a partnership with another student - 1,000 steps each.  Students took turns walking for one minute and then jogging for one minute.  This particular student thought that goal was too easy and took it upon himself to make a new goal!

.....I have talked about our mascot bears - Fitness Frankie, Physical Eddie, and Cardio Cal.  This week a kindergarten student wanted to know why I did not have the bears out during PE.  He had just been introduced to them last week.  I told him they were taking a nap and would be out next time!

.....Last year I received a grant to purchase Ipad minis to use during PE class.  This week students began to use one of them and they were so excited!  I was too!

.....Kindergarten students were incredibly creative this week during an animal walk activity.  One was even floating gracefully like a butterfly!

.....A week does not go by without students smiling during PE, being proud of a newly learned skill, or commenting about how much fun they were having.  This week was no different.  It never gets old.......and always makes me smile too!

....I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  North Park Physical Education