Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Best Parts of My Week - 6/2/14--6/6/14

Hi everyone,
     The year is coming to an end in a few weeks but the excitement continues!

.....Operation Healthy North Park wrapped up and after a final count of the Coop Cars I was excited to learn that we beat last year's record!  This year we collected 3,969 Coop Cars which equals at least 79,380 minutes of exercise during the month of May!

.....I always ask my students to show a friend that their pedometer has been reset to O in order to insure an accurate step count.  This week one of my students came to me to show me that the pedometer had been reset and said:  "You're my friend!"

.....This week I began to teach my primary students some dances.  I was very happy to hear their reaction to the idea of dance during PE.  One of my students said:  "Dance - YAY!"

.....Many students often share their accomplishments with me after ball games, dance recitals, and other events in their lives.  This week one of my colleagues shared that she had finished a half marathon this past weekend!  I am in awe of that accomplishment and was happy to share a high five to congratulate her!

.....Fitness Frankie returned home from Spain this week.  Yes, I said Spain!  He traveled with a Team USA athlete to the ITU Duathlon World Championships in Pontevedra, Spain!  How cool is that??  Check out his blog for pictures!

.....I have the honor to be throwing out the first pitch at the Hudson Valley Renegades baseball game in a few weeks.  One of my students made it a point to let me know that she will be there to cheer me on!

.....A primary warm-up this week was called "Give 5".  Students move around our rainbow track and take turns giving away their own bean bags to groups that need them.  As I was explaining that this activity was not about which group got the most bean bags and that it was about each group having enough, one of my first graders said that it was like making sure that everyone had enough food so that no one was starving!  What a great perspective for a seven year old!

.....In my mailbox this week was a book created by a kindergarten class.  After our Project ACES event, each student wrote about the exercise that they liked to do and drew a picture of themselves doing it.  The teachers put it together in a book for me!  I went down to the class to thank them and we decided that it should travel in Fitness Frankie's backpack so that it could be shared!

.....On Friday we were able to hold a school-wide Fitness Friday event using our PA system and my Ipod.  It was great fun and great to exercise as a school even though we were all in our own classrooms and spaces.  It was a great way to start the day and end the week!


I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  North Park Physical Education

See you next week!