Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Best Parts of My Week - 6/16/14--6/20/14


Hi everyone,
     This was Field Day Week!  The week began with Field Day for grades 3 and 4 and continued on Tuesday with K-2 Field Day in the morning, grade 5 Field Day in the afternoon, and the school barbecue day in between!  !  It was intense, amazing, and fun!

…..We are so fortunate to have many, many parent and teacher volunteers to help with our Field Days.  I can’t run Field Days without them and I always know that I can count on them to make our Field Days special. This year there were quite a few parent volunteers who were former students of mine!  What a privilege it is to have been teaching long enough to see that happen!  I enjoyed talking and reminiscing with them!

…..Field Days are the highlight of our school year for just about everyone.  In fact, in September, many students want to know when Field Days will be!  All of our students worked together, exercised, and had fun this year!  I was so proud of our students and as they thanked me for a great time I responded that all of the hard work that goes in to planning Field Days is worth it when I see students playing safe, playing fair, and enjoying it! Click on Field Day 2014 for pictures!

…..One of our parents owns a local ice cream/Italian ice store and they were kind enough to come to each Field Day with treats for all!  It was a surprise for our students and they were so excited when they found out!  I reminded each student group to show their “attitude of gratitude” by using their manners and good behavior.  I was not surprised to hear please and thank you all around!

….As a first grade class came to PE this week I was presented with a book that they had written in class about their favorite Field Day station!  It was wonderful and beautifully illustrated and I enjoyed reading each and every entry!  This kind of connection between the classroom and special areas is why North Park is so special!

…..After our Field Days concluded, the week continued with PE classes and special school events.  One of my kindergarten students told me that he remembered an activity that we did in the beginning of the year involving dice and step counts.  He said he had a good memory and he certainly does!

…..I have the pleasure of co-teaching one class with a colleague who is a young professional just beginning his career.  He taught our classes how to do the Hamster Dance this week and the students loved it!  I decided to try it with my other primary classes and they loved it too!  I was struck by the fact that it is not only the young who learn from the experienced, but the opposite is true as well!

…..Physical Eddie has been having some wonderful adventures to finish out the school year.  This week I was overjoyed at the journal entries by a second grade class!  They wrote about healthy choices, exercising, eating nutritious food, and feeding their brains with knowledge!  The pictures were priceless!  Visit Physical Eddie's blog to see more of his adventures!

…..The week ended with a beautiful Friday afternoon outside with my primary classes.  One of my kindergarten students was working hard to move along an overhead ladder on the playground.  While I saw him struggling, I knew that this was something that he had to work on to get better and he did not give up and kept trying.  Another kindergarten student who was very adept at crossing from one side to the other using the ladder came over to the struggling student and started giving him advice.  I watched this interaction for a few minutes with a smile on my face.  After a few minutes, the student who was helping came to me with a smile on his face and said:  “I’m teaching him to climb across!”  He was so proud!  I asked him if it felt good to help someone else by teaching and he said yes with a big smile!  I agreed!  


I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  North Park Physical Education

See you next week!