Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Best Parts of My Week - 9/24/12--9/28/12

Hi everyone,
     As September drew to a close, it felt as if we are back in the rhythm again!

.....My primary students were creating obstacle courses this week while they were learning the concepts of over and under.  I reminded my students that while cartwheels are fun, the surface of they gym floor is not safe for indoor cartwheels.  One of my students came up to me and said:  "Guess what?  My mom is 33 and she can do a cartwheel!"

.....My third grade students are using pedometers for the first time during PE class and they are very excited!  One student left PE class this week and said:  "I feel like I still have my pedometer on!"

.....We have many new friends at North Park this year and many have not had as much jump roping practice as some of other friends.  I smiled when I saw a student master a jump rope skill this week for the first time!

.....We have some new bear friends this year at North Park to reinforce our Healthy Highway program. This year, Physical Eddie and Healthy Hannah from Savannah are with us and they made their classroom debuts this week!  Healthy Hannah came to PE class and one of the students asked if she could take Healthy Hannah for a run during the warm-up!

.....All of our students completed baseline PE assessments this week for the very first time.  They required diligence and perseverance from all.  I was impressed at the work ethic of our students and their willingness to take the assessments seriously!

.....One of my kindergarten classes had enough time to play outside at the end of their baseline assessment task.  Unfortunately, one of the students took a tumble on a piece of equipment.  While I was making sure that he was OK, another student came up and gave him a hug to make him feel better!

.....At the beginning of the year my students created their "hand cut-outs" for a class contract.  This week after cutting out all of the hands and asking students about the rules that they felt were important to include, I was putting the contracts together.  It struck me that for the first time, one of the rules that students felt was important was "Eat Healthy".  How about that?  It was great to see that our efforts to include nutrition and healthy choices are starting to pay off!

.....My primary students were participating in a warm-up called "Alphabet Soup".  During this warm-up students touch letters, spell their names or spell words that they know while moving in different locomotor patterns to music.  One of my second graders came up to me during the warm-up and said:  "I just spelled Healthy, now I am going to spell Highway!"


I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  http://classrooms.hydeparkschools.org/webpages/MRobelee/

See you next week!