Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Best Parts of My Week! 9/17/12--9/21/12

Hi everyone,
     It has been a very exciting start to the school year at North Park!  We have so many new students and families and I think that I made some progress this week in getting to know everyone!

.....I was impressed by a fourth grade student who completely understood the concept of pacing himself during a warm-up and fitness activity this week.  It is a hard concept to teach and I am always thrilled when the message gets through!

.....My upper elementary students were assigned their pedometer numbers this week.  This is always exciting and when it was time to put the pedometers away I rattled off the odd numbers from 1-30 so that those students could clean up first.  One of my fifth graders looked at me while I was doing this and said "impressive!"  I responded - "Thanks!  I like Math!"

.....My younger students were playing a game called "Find My Color", which I use to reinforce the assignment of color groups at the beginning of the year.  Students look under cones to find foam sticks that match their color group.  One of the rules is "No Peeking".  One of my first graders took this rule very seriously and it was great to watch him play by the rules!

.....One of our early pedometer activities is an activity during which students walk for six minutes and attempt to get as many steps as possible.  It is always a challenge to walk and not run during this test.  I was proud of how well the students followed the directions and was also impressed at the number of steps they walked!  They were too!

.....During the course of the week I heard comments from several adults about how PE has changed over the years.  They are glad for the opportunities their students have to learn about nutrition and lifetime fitness during PE class and wish they'd had that opportunity when they were growing up......

.....We are off to a great start in our journey down the Healthy Highway!  One of the opportunities that our students have is to earn a bracelet and a mile for their class if they bring a healthy snack for their birthday treat to share with class.  We have had so many take advantage of this opportunity already this year!  Students have brought in homemade blueberry muffins, zucchini cakes, popcorn, and more to share with classmates as they celebrate their birthdays!


I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  http://classrooms.hydeparkschools.org/webpages/MRobelee/

See you next week!