Monday, October 3, 2011

The Best Parts of My Week - 9/26/11--9/30/11

Hi everyone,

September flew by! It's hard to believe that we have been in school for a month already! The leaves are starting to fall and we are enjoying the cooler weather! I hope you enjoy the "Best Parts of My Week"!



.....This week students in the primary grades were learning a warm-up during which small groups take turns jogging around our "Rainbow Track". Each color starts in a different place, so I always remind students to "look both ways" before they enter and exit the track. Students take this direction seriously and I always smile when I see them doing it. One student was standing still in the middle of the track during her turn and turning her head from side to side. Other students jogged around her, and I went over to her to ask why she was standing still. She replied "You told me to look both ways!"



.....I had the pleasure of bringing Exercise Ernie down to a K-1 class this week as it was their turn to take care of him. They were so excited! Each time they attended PE, they brought him to the gymnasium. One kindergarten student proudly announced that they were teaching him how to eat healthy snacks!



.....I was touched this week when I saw a kindergarten student spontaneously go to another student to help with an activity. The student was having difficulty getting started and the other student went over quietly and helped without looking for any special thanks........



.....After Fitness Frankie and Exercise Ernie spend time in a classroom, students from that classroom read about their adventures to the school using our PA system. After two students read about Exercise Ernie's adventure this week they were walking back to their classroom when another student from their classroom stopped them and told them what a great job they did! He was so sincere and the students were beaming!



.....I have talked from time to time about how I enjoy doing bus duty at the end of the day. I often get to chat with students and ask about their day. This year I am assigned to the students who are being picked up. One student arrived to the gymnasium for dismissal and began doing jumping jacks! Her enthusiasm was infectious and soon the whole group was doing them!



.....I had the pleasure of moving some class PE cars down the road for classes that were doing a great job during PE. The students in the class were very excited and began using their "butterfly claps" to show how happy they were! Butterfly claps are quiet claps of fingers coming together. It is a great way for students to show enthusiasm and excitement without a tremendous amount of noise. It is always great to see them!



..... We had a great Fitness Friday this week! I invited some classes to the gymnasium for a Fitness Friday activity. Many of the students were from the kindergarten classes and had never been to a Fitness Friday activity in the gymnasium. They were so excited! It was clear that they did not know what to expect at first, and they realized quickly how much fun they were going to have! Me too!


I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"


Please visit the North Park Physical Education Website for more information about our program!