Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Best Parts of My Week 10/11/11--10/14/11

Hi everyone,
     The days and weeks are flying by!  It's hard to believe that we are halfway through October already!  I wonder if time flies by as quickly for our students as it does for the adults in our building........

.....We had the opportunity to be outside participating in some soccer activities early this week.  One of my second graders said "I used to play soccer, but I retired."

.....I had the pleasure of listening to a fifth grader read Fitness Frankie's journal entry for the week he spent in their class.  She read with such great expression and enthusiasm I could have sworn that Fitness Frankie himself was speaking!  My principal continues to remind me:  "You know he is just a bear, right?"  I am not so sure.........

.....I am always inspired by the kindness that I witness at the most unusual moments during the day.  Several students this week definitely showed the "Courage to do the right thing" by being kind and helpful to other students who benefited greatly from their kindness.  I had the pleasure of sharing this behavior with their classroom teacher.  All involved were proud!

.....We held our October Healthy Highway assembly this week and introduced our new "characters".  Courageous Carlos and Courageous Cassie are the newest addition to what we call "The Pride of North Park"!  They are lions that will help our students with courage!  The students and staff were all smiles and laughter as they lions made their debut!  At the end of the assembly one of our fifth grade classes volunteered to dance our Healthy Highway dance on stage.  They did a great job and are wonderful leaders in our school!

.....October is Fire Safety Month and we have a wonderful fire department that comes to our school each year to teach fire safety to our students.  It is always an exciting day and I had an opportunity to take some kindergarten students to see the fire trucks.  They were in awe of the firefighters and the equipment.  We are so fortunate to have such dedicated volunteers keeping us safe!

....As a result of Fire Safety Day, I was not able to use the gymnasium and the weather did not cooperate so I spent the day in the music room playing Uno Fitness and Speedstacks with my classes.  When a kindergarten class arrived, one of the students said:  "I thought you were the gym teacher!"  When I responded that I indeed am the PE teacher, he said:  "Then what are you doing in here?"

.....Speedstacks are very popular with my students and we enjoy using them during the school year.  Kindergarten students are just beginning to use them by building creatively.  One student said to another when he was building: "You know the bigger the bottom, the higher you can build".  I thought that this was quite a concept to understand at five years old!  Maybe he will be an architect or an engineer someday - who knows??????

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week"!

Please visit the North Park PE Website for more information about our program.