Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Best Parts of My Week - 10/17/11--10/21/11

Hi everyone,
     It was a week to take a step back and appreciate the little things that can be easily taken for granted........

.....After playing a game with my kindergarten students called "Clean Up Your Backyard", one of my students commented while cleaning up at the end of class: "Oh look, we are recycling!"

.....One of the reasons that I like the game "Clean Up Your Backyard" is that it allows for some reinforcement of Math practice with my primary students. Students were counting and I was adding up the "garbage" on each side of the "fence" when one of my first graders offered to do the Math.  He did a great job!  He was 100% accurate!

.....Although I have been playing the game "Clean Up Your Backyard" for many years, I attended a conference last fall and went to a session about this game.  Lynn Hefele, a PE teacher, wrote a book to accompany the game.  I bought the book and added it to my lesson.  It was terrific and my students loved it! Fitness Frankie and Exercise Ernie played too!  One of the objects of the game is to aim for balloons that represent trees.  One of my students hit the ribbon holding up the balloon and commented: "I hit a branch!"Visit Lynn's website at LEPE, inc. for more information about this book and game.

.....While outside with my upper elementary students this week, we had the opportunity to play one-on-one soccer games.  It was a beautiful Fall week and we have such wonderful fields on which to play.  It was hard not to be grateful.......

.....I watched has students in several classes this week assisted others in need of help for shoe tying.  The students who helped did so willingly and without looking for thanks in return.....

.....I invited some second and third grade students to the gymnasium on Friday for a Fitness Friday activity.  We had a great time with UNO Fitness and the Cupid Shuffle.  A new faculty member joined in for the first time and said: "What a great way to start the day!"  I agree!

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"

Please visit the North Park Physical Education website for more information about our program.