Monday, October 10, 2011

The Best Parts of My Week - 10/3/11-10/7/11

Hi everyone,
     We are enjoying the changing of the seasons here in the Northeast, but one thing that never changes is that there are many great moments during the week!  Enjoy!

.....Exercise Ernie's journal entry was read by an enthusiastic first grader during morning announcements! It sounded like Ernie himself were reading!

.....One of our fifth grade classes took care of Fitness Frankie this week.   They were just as happy as the kindergarten students to have him in their class!  They helped him draw a picture in art and brought him to PE class with a pear!  His blog will be updated soon!

.....At our faculty meeting on Monday my director presented me with a beautiful hand-made plaque in recognition of my NYS Elementary PE Teacher of the Year Award.....Words are not enough to say thank you.  I continue to be overwhelmed...........

.....One of my kindergarten students brought in apples as healthy treat for his birthday celebration and brought me one too!

.....My primary students were creating obstacle courses this week.  I was impressed at the creativity of many of my students.  Each group used the same equipment, but there were so many creative ideas that I had not even thought of!  Two of my kindergarten friends who were working together told me:  "We made it so that we could go at the same time!....."  They have already learned how to Play Fair!

.....As a warm-up activity this week, younger students were moving throughout the gymnasium as they found letters on the floor to spell words.  Some spelled their name, others spelled a word on their spelling list.  One second grade student told me he spelled "Photosynthesis"and another told me he spelled "Jump Rope for Heart!"

.....I was waiting for a class to be picked up from PE this week and I said to the third grade class:  "I guess you will have to stay with me all day!"  They responded enthusiastically "YEAH!"  It doesn't get much better than that!

.....At the end of this week I had a wonderful opportunity to present two sessions at the Central South Zone of NYS AHPERD Mini-Conference at SUNY Cortland.  It was a great experience!  I am a SUNY Cortland graduate and it was a real treat to be back!  As I was setting up for my session in the gymnasium, I had a moment to myself to be truly thankful for the journey that I have been on since my days at SUNY Cortland.  I met some wonderful PE Majors and PE Professionals!  Thanks to the CSZ for inviting me!

I hope you enjoyed reading about the "Best Parts of My Week!"

Please visit the North Park Physical Education Website for more information about our program.