Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Best Parts of My Week - 10/6/14--10/10/14

Hi everyone,
     I can't believe how beautiful the weather has been this fall!  We have been outside so much my friends that I have not seen in awhile have been asking why I am so tan!

.....Our Healthy Highway program is in full swing and many classes have already earned enough miles to complete a lap!  When a lap is completed a sticker is placed on a class car.  I was happy to see a student putting a sticker on his class car this week!  I love it when the classroom teachers get the students involved in the management!

.....In an effort to increase student led conversations and still keep activity time at a maximum level I have begun to institute a "Walk and Talk" activity when students need to discuss things with each other.  This week students were creating their own 1 v 1 soccer games and I asked them to "Walk and Talk" to decide how the activity was going to work.  I gave them some discussion prompts and then sent them off.  This activity served a dual purpose and by the time the students returned they were warm-up up and ready to go!  I was impressed with the conversations!

.....The students in grades 3-5 have been working hard to learn and practice a variety of soccer skills and as they began their 1 v 1 soccer games this week and I was happy to see them using the skills!  When I asked them to talk about what skills they had improved in their practice, I heard a variety of answers and saw the improvement in action!  It was great to see them playing and having fun and some of the groups even named their teams!  One student group remarked that they were playing for the FIFA World Cup!

.....As I was circulating around our field watching and commenting on the soccer games this week one of the students was resting.  He smiled up at me and said "it's halftime!"

.....I always encourage problem solving and the fact is that some groups are better at it than others.  This week a student commented that she really needed to be able to see two sides of the story because in her quest to solve a problem she saw one side but did not see the other until it was pointed out to her.  How mature is that!

.....As a 5th grade passed in the hallway this week each and every student told me the PE Password and gave me a high 5!  YAY!

.....Several students took the time to show me the healthy snacks they were saving for later on their way back from the cafeteria!

.....The week ended with a half-day professional development afternoon.  I participated with a group of first grade teachers, reading teachers, and teaching assistants.  I am so thankful for the colleagues that I work with everyday!  They are talented, dedicated, professional, and always, always want to deliver the best possible education to our students!  As a result of this professional development and collaboration I am ready to try some new things!


I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  North Park Physical Education