Sunday, October 26, 2014

The Best Parts of My Week! 10/20/14--10/24/14

Hi everyone,
     October is flying by!  Our cooperative unit is in full swing and is one of my favorite units to teach.  Regardless of the number of years I teach, I learn new ways to solve problems every year!

.....I began the week early Monday morning meeting with our new Student Ambassador group for our Fuel Up to Play 60 program.  A colleague and I decided to bring this program to North Park to allow students to be more involved.  What a wonderful group of students!  It was our first meeting and the excitement was in the air!  We are hoping to make a difference and with this group of students I am sure that it is possible!

.....Our Fitness Frankie to Go packs came back right on schedule on Monday morning!  The students had a great weekend with him and one student even made a video!

.....Physical Eddie arrived with a kindergarten class this week wearing a new shirt!  When I asked about it the teacher explained that this was his new lab coat because he is "Dr. PE"!  He is helping to teach the students about the human body!  How cool is that!  I love the collaboration!

.....As a result of a generous grant from the Southeastern Zone of NYS AHPERD, I was able to add three iPad minis to our program.  I love technology and I am so excited to add this technology to our program.  This week the iPad minis were used for a warm-up for the first time.  I told students of my expectations in terms of the safe and respectful use of the equipment and I was so proud of their use and care!  They were so excited to begin to use them!  They had a great workout and all students were able to take lots of turns during the warm-up.  I can't wait to use them again!

.....One of my favorite cooperative lessons involves tossing and catching rubber pigs on a garbage bag. It is such a silly but cooperative activity!  As a fifth grade class was participating in this activity, one of my students said:  "and my mom said I wouldn't get an iPhone until pigs fly!"

.....There is never enough time to accomplish all that I want to in a given class period.  During the cooperative unit, debriefing is important, but it is hard to find the time.  This week I ended some of the classes with a "Walk and Talk" during which students were supposed to finish the sentence "I liked it when......"  I sent the class on their way and it was so great to hear all of the talking.  When the students returned I asked for some students to share their responses.  The responses were amazing!  All of the responses were positive and many had to do with the cooperation that they used during the activity!

.....Our school received the Let's Move Active Schools 2014 National Recognition Award!  On Thursday night, the banner, certificate, and congratulatory letter from our First Lady Michelle Obama was unveiled at the Board of Education meeting.  I had the privilege to speak to the BOE about the award and was so incredibly proud of the team effort from our staff, students, families, and community that made this award possible....

.....At the end of the week I gave the Fitness Frankie to Go packs to the next two students for their weekend adventures.  They were so excited!  One of the students had a bike riding adventure already planned!

.....I finished off the week after school on Friday by taking a picture of my principal - dressed as Fitness Frankie for the evening Halloween party!  I am thankful everyday to work for such a dedicated, caring, and supportive administrator.  I know how lucky I am!

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  North Park Physical Education