Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Best Parts of My Week - 2/20/12-2/24/12

Hi everyone,
The week started with duck tape and ended with race cars.........:-)

.....When I was young duck tape fixed things.....now it is a fashion statement!  I was talking with a group of fifth graders about how duck tape is now used to make all sorts of things and one of them said that she had made some duck tape flower pens over the weekend.  She brought one for me!  It is terrific and useful too!

.....Last week I wrote about the "PE People Project".  Students are coloring in "themselves" using drawing paper that has been cut from a die cut machine to be a boy or a girl.  The idea is that these will be hung up in the hallway when students are doing their best during PE class as a display of exemplary work.  This week we finished up the coloring and I began to laminate them.  They are adorable!  I can't wait to begin to display them!

.....As a fifth grade class was finishing up the "PE People Project" I was chatting with a group of boys who were coloring them to look the same.  When I commented that they all looked alike, one of the boys said: "We are triplets.  We went through mitosis!" (I kid you not........)

.....Early this week I was on my way down the primary hallway to drop off something at a classroom during morning arrival.  As I was walking down the hallway, one student said:  "Hey, what are you doing here, you belong in the gym!"

.....As students were marching to some patriotic songs during a pathway activity, one student smiled and said: "We sang this at nursery school!"

.....Our Science Fair was this week and it was great to see all of the hard work that went into the projects.  Some of the projects even had to do with heart rate and they were terrific!

.....During a pathway activity, students were creating letters using segmented jump ropes.  Some of the ropes were red and some were blue.  One students decided that the blue should be vowels and the red should be consonants - creative!

.....During a different pathway activity, students were creating curved pathways and one student said: "Mine has loop-di-loops!"  I guess she really understands the concept of curved pathways!

.....As I was tying the shoes of a new student this week, he looked at my badge and said: "Did that used to be you?"  I smiled and said that the picture was taken some time ago.  I guess I look different and he noticed!

.....Our warm-up in the primary classes this week was a Healthy Highway Race Car Warm-up.  During this activity, students take turns in color groups jogging around a "race track" and I announce different events that might occur and students react to the event in certain ways.  For example, if it is raining, students must slow down to 5 mph (walking) and put on their windshield wipers (arms waving).  I always encourage students to "look both ways" when entering the track.  This week I added a reminder to "put on your blinkers" when pulling out or pulling off the track.  It was so cute to see them putting on their blinkers for safety!  They love being race cars and it goes right along with our Healthy Highway program here at North Park!


Thanks for reading about the "Best Parts of My Week!"

Visit the North Park PE website if you would like more information about the PE program at North Park!