Monday, March 5, 2012

The Best Parts of My Week - 2/27/12--3/2/12

Hi everyone,
    We had an extra day - "Leap Day" - to make a difference and make it count!  I did my best to do both!

.....During a warm-up this week one student remarked: "Skipping!  That's my favorite way of moving!"

.....Exercise Ernie was being hosted by a fourth grade class this week.  When the class came to PE one of the students was very excited and told me about a new bear of his own!

.....During an activity this week we used heart rate monitors to determine heart rate.  We are so fortunate to be able to use this technology in our PE program!  The students enjoyed it too!

.....During a lesson about straight, curved, and zig-zag pathways I asked students to zig-zag between cones while carrying a football.  A kindergarten student pretended to put on some marker under his eyes just like the real football players do to reduce glare!

.....A first grade student showed me his new shoes and said:  "For some reason I run faster in these shoes!"

.....In our district this week, our senior class held a fund raiser during which the Harlem Wizards Basketball team played a team of teachers, staff, administrators, and students.  Many of our students were excited to attend the game!  One group of cub scouts asked if they could take Exercise Ernie to the game too!  They are a responsible group so I agreed and they all had a terrific time!

.....One of our teachers was going to play in the game against the Harlem Wizards this week.  She thought it would be a great idea to take Fitness Frankie to the game to meet the Wizards!  Check out the pictures on his blog!

.....At the end of the week I had an opportunity to be a presenter at a Nassau Zone Conference at Adelphi University.  I was excited to be a presenter at the conference and my excitement turned to pride as I met a PE teacher at the conference who used to be one of my students!  Time flies when you are having fun!


Thanks for reading about the "Best Parts of My Week!"

Visit the North Park PE website if you would like more information about the PE program at North Park!