Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Best Parts of My Week! - 2/6/12--2/10/12

Hi everyone,
    I hope you enjoy the "Best Parts of My Week" as much as I did!

.....I was presented with a small piece of artwork from one of my students this week.  It was so thoughtful!

.....A fifth grade group was getting ready to use the horizontal bar during our gymnastics unit this week.  I was spotting students as they were doing front circles on a single bar.  One of the students was so excited and said:  "I've been looking forward to this all year!!!!

.....This week a student taught us how to "share-count stretch" in Punjabi!  This was a first and this year we have counted in Arabic, Spanish, French, Korean, Vietnamese, English, and now Punjabi!

.....As we wrap up our gymnastics unit, I allow some classes what I call "Freedom with responsibility".  This is a phrase I learned while at a workshop some years ago.  Classes must earn this privilege and they are excited when they do!  Basically, it means that students are allowed to choose the activities that they would like to participate in, based on the stations that are open for the day.  Students can spend as much or as little time as they choose at a particular station.  I always say to students that the "freedom" part is easy, but the "responsibility" part is more difficult.  During gymnastics, the "responsibility" part means that students must use the equipment safely and appropriately, join at the end of the line, and participate safely while transitioning between stations.  It is always an accomplishment when students earn this privilege and I am always proud of how they handle it!

.....I was out in our community this week after school and had the pleasure of seeing some former students.  It was fun catching up!

.....Fitness Frankie's and Exercise Ernie's journals continue to grow with wonderful entries and books made by students!  I always enjoy hearing about their adventures!

.....Our warm-up this week included some "Uno Fitness".  I played some music during the exercise as I usually do, but this week the music seemed to enhance the activity just a little bit more than usual!

.....I wore a t-shirt this week that says: "Every BODY needs PE!"  One of my kindergarten students was reading my shirt and wanted to know what it meant.  I explained that PE is important for everyone so that they can make their muscles and bones strong, and their heart healthy.  One kindergarten student replied that yes, "PE is good for your whole body!"  I agree!


Thanks for reading about the "Best Parts of My Week!"

Visit the North Park PE website if you would like more information about the PE program at North Park!