Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Best Parts of My Week - 11/28/11-12/2/11

Hi everyone,
      These are some of the best parts of my week!  I hope you enjoy!

.....I delivered Exercise Ernie to a kindergarten classroom this week.  They were so excited!

.....Even though I have been teaching for 28 years, I am always looking for new ideas and new things to try.  By doing this, I continue to learn and grow, and my students benefit from the new ideas and excitement as well! This week I tried two new activities.  One of them I learned from PE Central, and the other as a result of attendance at the recent NYS AHPERD conference.  One of the new lessons:  Scooter Ships, was so much fun that students talked about the activity all afternoon.  Before I knew it, I was adding "Space" music and using earth balls and asteroid balls as obstacles!  The other:  Noodle Bit Poppers, was enjoyed by all!

.....As a culminating activity to our Cooperative Activities Unit, students use the rock wall and older students learn to spot each other as they climb.  When classes arrived this week and saw that the rock wall was open, they screamed with excitement!

.....A fifth grade class was working together to create a "pipeline" so that various objects could travel through it.  I was especially proud of the perseverance that students showed and two students in particular were proud of their accomplishment even though it was difficult.  When I asked them how it felt when they accomplished the goal, they smiled wide and said: "Awesome!"

.....I smiled when a student smiled at me this week and said:  "I made a new friend today!"

.....We held a school-wide Fitness Friday activity this week where I played a song over the PA system and students exercised.  I saw a kindergarten student in the hallway after we finished and she said with a smile: "I'm worn out!  I need a drink!"

.....After Fitness Friday, I received an e-mail from a teacher who was happy to share that a student in her class who had been reluctant to participate in Fitness Friday as well as other activities, willingly participated without prompting and even volunteered to be the "Monkey" who decided on the exercise while friends followed along!

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"

Visit the North Park PE website if you would like more information about the PE program at North Park!