Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Best Parts of My Week - 12/12/11-12/16/11

Hi everyone,
     On Friday afternoon I had logged over 71,000 steps for the week!  It was a busy one, but definitely a fun one!

.....A third grader was using a heart rate monitor and suddenly said:  "Look at my heart beating!"

.....We have many wonderful adults who work in our building as aides.  As one class was leaving PE this week and choosing a face to answer the question:  "Did you help out in PE today?" an aide in the class answered it to!  She chose the happy face because she was a great help!

.....I have begun to create a PE portfolio for my second grade students this year.  I have been talking to students about the portfolio and the kinds of things that will be a part of it.  I recently had created the file with all of the students names in individual files and this week students had completed a Rock Wall Safety Test to be put in the portfolio.  I showed the students the box and their reaction was "Oooooh!"  They were very excited!

.....Our upper grades finished their lessons on the rock wall this week with a number climb.  Climbers chose a number from a cup and then had to climb to the next number randomly placed on the wall.  Groups of three took turns being the climber, spotter, and recorder.  Recorders wrote down all of the numbers on a white board and at the end of class worked together to add up the numbers.  I was impressed at the excitement that a combination of Math and PE could create!

.....My primary students have moved on to lessons learning about levels.  During one of the activities, a student smiled and said:  "My cat jumps in a high level!"  Another activity to reinforce the concept of levels is called the "Zany Zoo".  Students choose cards with animals and then pretend to be that animal in a zoo ring that I had created out of noodles.  One student said this week "Look!  The animals are escaping from the zoo!"

.....I asked two students to help me this week put the rock wall mats back in place so I could get ready for my afternoon classes.  I smiled when they reminisced about the lesson that was set up for the younger students coming that afternoon.  They remembered fondly the lesson from a previous year and were happy to help!

.....A bean bag frog landed on a student's head during an activity and as she was giggling about it I commented on how silly it was to have a frog land on your head.  She replied:  "Yes, that's why I'm laughing!"

.....Exercise Ernie spent the week in a K-1 class and participated in PE several times this week.  One of the days that he was in the gymnasium, a first grader noticed that "PE Paddy"(Fitness Frankie's friend from Ireland) was out and asked if PE Paddy and Ernie could play together!

.....Fitness Frankie spent the week in a 5th grade class.  On Friday I was in the library and asked the students how he was as I hadn't seen him all week because it was so busy.  A group of students chatted with me about all of the activities that he had participated in during the week.  He was as busy as I was this week!


I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"

Visit the North Park PE website if you would like more information about the PE program at North Park!