Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Best Parts of My Week....5/24-5/28

Hi everyone,
It never ceases to amaze me that every week can be so different! Each week I am surprised by the events that can emerge as the Best Parts of My Week!

.....After a bus duty conversation with some of my students, I was asked to wear one of the earliest Field Day T-shirts that I had had made for my school Field Days. I had to dig back in the closet, but came up with one from 1996! All of my students were not even born yet, but they were thrilled to see me wearing the shirt!

.....This week my primary students spent time participating in Yoga activities. Two reactions stand out for me. First, when students arrived to the gymnasium and realized we were doing Yoga they smiled and exclaimed YOGA YESSSSS!!! Next, after finishing the activity with a relaxation and breathing activity, a kindergarten student said "This was so relaxing!"

.....During May, we celebrate National Physical Fitness and Sports Month with a project called "Operation Healthy North Park". Students, families, employees, and community members participate by exercising and filling out paper sneakers for activity lasting at least 20 minutes. These sneakers are collected, counted, and displayed on a bulletin board at school. This week, I received a pile of sneakers from a high school PE teacher and his students! This teacher had taught with me in prior years and chose to support the program by including himself and his students in the project! Many of the names on the sneakers were former students of mine who had participated in the project when they were elementary students! That truly made my day!