Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Best Parts of My Week....4/26-4/30

Hi everyone,
Sometimes it's best to step back and take in the best moments of each day from a short distance......This week, I did just that....


.....I watched a group of students outside at recess from my office window drawing boxes on the blacktop with sidewalk chalk and then playing four square. While that might not seem like a great moment, it was for me because prior to my teaching four square for the first time this year, students in my school did not play four square at recess. That moment showed me that, as teachers, we do make a difference, but we don't always get to experience it first-hand....

.....My younger students have been exploring balance with many different pieces of equipment these last two weeks. We are fortunate to have a variety of interesting equipment that helps students experiment with balance in safe and fun ways. One of the objects we use are foam noodles. Students try to balance their noodle in different ways. Some students balance it on their head, feet, fingers, shoulders, knees, etc. As I was observing one of the groups, I could not help but smile at the pure joy that showed on one particular student's face as he balanced his noodle on the bottom of his foot while laying on the floor on his back. His giggles were infectious! What a fun way to learn!