Sunday, May 15, 2016

The Best Parts of My Week - 5/9/16--5/13/16

Hi everyone,
     It was a great week but someone starting counting down the number of days left in the school year.  We are in session until the end of June but we have a number of days off due to some days off for unused snow days.  The number of days left was 27 and I thought – “oh no….that is not nearly enough time to get done what needs to be done with all of the year end events coming up!”  It is the time of year that seems to fly by when I want it to slow down!

…...I was struck by the creativity that my students have when I saw a first grade student use a noodle sideways to accomplish a goal in a way that I had not thought of!

…..As I was encouraging students to exercise so that they could turn in “Coop Cars” for Operation Healthy North Park I had many students eager to share their weekend activities with me!

…..A first grade student was sharing a story with me about his younger brother and an adventure they were having together.  A vacuum cleaner that was in the gym reminded him of a snapdragon and the adventure they had had recently at home.  He said:  “he’s my sidekick!”  How great is that?

…..During an activity using a springboard during our gymnastics unit one second grader complemented a friend after he had taken his turn.  He said:  “You’re a natural!”  This pleased the friend of course and he began to say to others:  “hey!  I’m a natural!”

…..Our Fuel Up to Play 60 Student Ambassadors organized a Veggie Taste Test Day this week and during our meeting this week we organized all of the veggies that students would be trying.  Students had decided on kohlrabi, red cabbage, radishes, and cauliflower.  My colleague and I bought and cut up the vegetables and the students counted out servings and organized surveys, napkins, and bags of vegetables.  They were very excited about the event and since we had some time and some leftover veggies we asked students to try them out prior to the actual taste test.  The reactions were priceless!  Some students said:  “I loved everything!” and others were surprised by the taste of some of the vegetables.  They were very thoughtful in their taste testing!  I told them to keep their results a secret until their peers had a chance to try them too! 

…..During the Veggie Taste Test Day I happened to be visiting a class when the event was happening.  The students were so excited and could not wait to try the new veggies.  It was very encouraging to know that students were indeed open to trying new things.  This particular class has a guinea pig named Truffle and he was invited to the taste test too!  Students had surveys to fill out based on their like or dislike of a particular vegetable.  One student created a survey just for Truffle by drawing a table on her own survey.  She took care of the results.  Truffle liked the red cabbage, did not like the kohlrabi or the radishes, and was not sure about the cauliflower at first but warmed up to it later!  It was so cute to watch Truffle try everything and to watch his friend write down the results! 



…..We had a Healthy Highway assembly this week and we are now traveling down Leadership Lane.  It was a special assembly as we imparted the message of leadership and the concept of being the ‘first follower” of good leadership.  We reintroduced our lions – Courageous Cassie and Courageous Carlos.  Students are earning Courage Cards by showing the courage to do the right thing and Cassie and Carlos are now sitting on the main office counter to see who is earning the Courage Cards! 

…..My week was extended a bit as I attended the 51st Annual SEZ of NYS AHPERD Elementary/Middle School Awards Ceremony.  As the president of the SEZ it was my job to make some opening and closing remarks, and to congratulate each honoree as they received their award for outstanding participation and leadership in Physical Education class.  What an honor it was to meet over 400 honorees and their families and congratulate them on their achievement!  It was a special privilege this year as my first year as president since I was able to congratulate several of my own students who were honored as well!  It is a truly amazing group of young people who have much to offer and are terrific role models for their peers.  It was a proud moment for their families for sure and I could not help but smile back as I greeted each one and saw the pride and happiness on the students faces as well! 

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week"!  Visit my website:  North Park Physical Education to find out more about our Physical Education program.  


Follow me on Twitter!  @mrobPE