Sunday, May 8, 2016

The Best Parts of My Week - 5/2/16--5/6/16

 Hi everyone,
     It was Teacher Appreciation Week and there were so many reasons t o feel appreciated! 

…..Monday began with a lovely breakfast provided by our PTA.  One of the many nice things about this breakfast was that there were many healthy options to choose from!   We have worked hard to teach our students about the value of healthy foods and it has been nice to see the changes reflected in what we choose to eat as adults too!

…..We started gymnastics this week and we are so very lucky to have a beautiful gymnastics set up to use for our unit.  No matter how many times I begin this unit, I am still surprised at how excited students get!  They could not wait to take off their shoes and get started!


…..It was a VERY rainy week here in the Northeast so our outdoor plans for our Project ACES event on Tuesday had to be changed.  Our plan was to have our Student Ambassadors for Fuel Up to Play 60 be the “bus drivers of the day” and have them lead bus groups of buddy classes to different “bus stops” to do different exercises.  It would have worked better outside for sure but we made it work inside despite some wrinkles in the plan.  I asked one of our ambassadors at the end of the day what she thought of the event.  She said:  “It was tough” then she paused (which made me nervous) and smiled wide and continued with “but it was SO MUCH FUN!”  It was a relief to hear that she enjoyed it!  Fitness Frankie helped too!


…..I have been using the idea of a Tabata (interval type exercises) as a warm-up with my students.  This week I used noodles and taught students a noodle tabata that I learned on Twitter and modified for our classes.  It was super fun!  Students really liked the music and the warm-up!  One primary student said:  “This is like going to the gym!”  Another remarked: “This is a workout!”  Still another said:  “I Iove this music!”  I smiled and thought…..that’s the idea!

…..A teacher stopped by my office to tell me that her students were choosing to eat apples for snack instead of the unhealthy foods that some had brought in to school.  Apparently there are some leftover apples from breakfast that come her way each day.  She shares them with the students who need a snack.  Some students began to ask her if they could have one too and put away their unhealthy snack.  How great is that!  I was so happy she shared!

…..Wednesday our PTA put on a delicious luncheon to continue the celebration of Teacher Appreciation Week.  While some parents were getting the luncheon ready I had a chance to chat with some of the moms who were volunteering.  One of the moms is my former student and we had a nice time reminiscing.  Our school will be celebrating 50 years next year and we were talking about the history of the school.  It turns out that I am one of the few, if only, teacher who has worked for all three principals of our school since it opened…..wow!   

……Physical Eddie spent some time in a second grade class recently and he learned all about the parts of plants.  Students and Physical Eddie also learned that different vegetables are actually parts of plants and part of the lesson involved trying some new vegetables like broccoli, which is the flower of a plant.  The class contributed to a journal entry in Physical Eddie’s journal and many said that they learned so much and now like vegetables that they had not tried before!  I had a chance to compliment the class and talk to them about the project.  I love it when Physical Eddie’s adventures (and the other bears too of course) involve cross-curricular experiences!

…..One of the best parts of my week unfortunately involves a tragedy that happened to one of my co-workers.  While I will not get into the details of the sad event, as a result of it I was able to witness the strength and resolve of those involved, and the outpouring of love and support from my work family to all those affected.  North Park is the absolute best!


…..Friday was “bring a flower to your teacher” day as a culminating event for Teacher Appreciation Week.  The idea is that students bring a bunch of flowers and hand out one or two to many different teachers that they appreciate.  I received so many beautiful flowers from my students and I feel loved and appreciated.  I am truly fortunate and the smile never left my face on Friday as flowers kept arriving! These beauties are just a few of them!  



I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week"!  Visit my website:  North Park Physical Education to find out more about our Physical Education program.  


Follow me on Twitter!  @mrobPE