Monday, May 30, 2016

The Best Parts of My Week - 5/23/16--5/27/16

Hi everyone,  
      This week students and staff started counting down the last remaining days of the school year.  There is so much to do and so many events left until our last day that I find myself thinking:  "Stop counting please!  There is not enough time left to do what I need and want to do!"  Despite the packed schedule and feeling like I am running out of time, there were many "Best Parts"!

.....I had a great conversation with a second grade student this week about how his dad went to our school and about what has changed and not changed since his dad was a student.  Since I was his dad's teacher, he knew he could ask and get the correct answer!  He asked me about the kinds of activities we did but also about equipment and even the structure of the gymnasium.  He was fascinated by the changes and information and I was happy to share!

.....We have been working our our Gymnastics unit for a few weeks now and this week was the last week of the unit.  As I was watching my students perform during the different station activities I was struck by the improvement in not only skill but confidence!  While Gymnastics is a favorite unit for many of my students it is also very stressful as I am always focused on safety.  However, at this point in the unit I almost wish we could continue on a bit longer when I see the students participating confidently, exuding joy of movement, and working so hard!

.....Our Fuel Up to Play 60 Student Ambassadors have been working hard all year and our biggest project is a Bike Rodeo and Safety Clinic which is being held this coming week.  I thought it would be fun to advertise the event by bringing in my bicycle and setting up Fitness Frankie and Physical Eddie on the bike.  I have a helmet for Physical Eddie (mine) but Fitness Frankie is a bit too small for a traditional helmet.  One of our parents noticed he did not have a helmet and suggested we find one for him.  After searching my son's room, I found a suitable helmet am planning to strap it on.....Safety First!  This picture is prior to the finding of the helmet so stay tuned for the safer version!



.....I taught my kindergarten students the Peanut Butter and Jelly dance this week.  It was silly but so much fun!

.....Later in the week I was wearing a jacket that I bought when I was in Scotland at St. Andrews Golf Course.  We had the amazing opportunity to go to the practice round of the Open in 2010.  One of my students came into the gym and noticed my jacket.  He asked about it and I was surprised and impressed about how much he knew about the Open!  He is a third grader but plays golf and has great aspirations to play in his future!  Not one other student noticed or commented on my jacket that day.  How observant is that?

.....As our Gymnastics unit was winding down a fifth grade class was interested in creating some routines in small groups and then performing them for the class.  Thursday was the last class of the unit and I explained that students would have the chance to practice and then could let me know if they would like to perform for the class.  I explained that this was a choice and not everyone had to perform if they chose not to.  Prior to the start of the performances I reminded students about how good audiences behave and also reminded them to show respect.  Not only was I impressed with their respect and behavior but I was also impressed with their willingness to perform for their peers.  We had duos and small groups create and perform a routine but we also had a few individuals who had the courage to perform a routine for the class.  We were having so much fun that I did not want the class to end!  I had the privilege of sharing the experience with their teacher who was just as impressed and proud!

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week"!  Visit my website:  North Park Physical Education to find out more about our Physical Education program.  



Follow me on Twitter!  @mrobPE