Sunday, January 10, 2016

The Best Parts of My Week - 1/4/16--1/8/16

Hi everyone,
     Happy New Year!  Wow.......2016!  After a great winter break I was ready to start the new year!  I started teaching in January of 1984 so this return to school after the holidays marks the 32nd anniversary of the beginning of my career!  As I walked out the door on my way to school on Monday I was lost in thought about my first day in 1984.  I was excited and nervous at the same time and I never imagined that these past 32 years would fly by so fast and that I would have so many amazing memories and fantastic opportunities along the way......

.....Before the week even started I had the opportunity to be a part of a SHAPE America Podcast.  This podcast was about classroom management and I was invited to share some thoughts with some other great educators.  It comes out this week!

.....I arrived at school on Monday morning to find that my floor had been refinished and repainted!  I knew that the work was going to be done but I could not believe how truly beautiful it came out!  I asked for new lines and for my "rainbow track" (I had been using floor tape for years) to be painted as well and it was all done and so fantastic I wanted to cry tears of joy!  My students were just as excited as I was!  I enjoyed watching the looks on the faces of my students as they came into the gym and talking about how it was done.  It was absolutely priceless!  How about this!
As I was talking to the students about taking care of the floor by using it respectfully and responsibly I noticed one of my fifth graders nodding in agreement.  It was so nice to see his thoughtful response as  I was explaining that this was not my gym, but OUR gym and it was our job to use it in a way that allows others to enjoy it for years to come......All week I kept saying:  "It's still beautiful!"

.....One of my third graders was excited to see that we had the same kind of sweatpants on!  He was sure to point it out and it was great to know that he thought it was cool!

.....One of my kindergarten students was so kind this week!  She was getting some equipment and if you work with young students you know that the color of equipment matters more to some than others!  She told me that someone wanted the color she had so she decided to give it to the student that asked for it.....what a kind heart at such a young age!

.....A colleague of mine and I have been working for awhile to create lessons that would introduce orienteering to our students in grades 3-5.  We decided that we would start the new year by trying out the beginning lesson.  We decided to create "Clock Fitness" and compare the clock to a compass by having students spin to determine a clock time and then find the correct station.  I was a little unsure about how it would go but I am happy to say that it exceeded my expectations!  Students were very excited to participate and seemed very interested in learning something new!


.....I started a new warm-up late in the week with my primary students.  The idea was that a student would show a dance move and the rest of us would follow by doing the same move.  It was so much fun! My students have some great dance moves!

.....Second graders worked on their healthy resolutions this week to add to their portfolios.  They had some great resolutions!  Some wanted to eat more fruits and vegetables, others promised to play less video games, but everyone wrote down a healthy idea to start the new year!  

.....On Friday I was playing music during an activity and one of my students (who is normally pretty quiet) said:  "I love this music!  I just want to dance to it!"  He had the biggest smile on his face and so did I!

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week"!  Visit my website:  North Park Physical Education to find out more about our Physical Education program.  




Follow me on Twitter!  @mrobPE