Monday, February 16, 2015

The Best Parts of My Week - 2/9/15--2/13/15

Hi everyone,
      Well, let's see....Monday - snow day, Tuesday - 2 hour delay, Wednesday - full day, Thursday - early release, Friday - no school for President's weekend.  It was about as short a week as you can get and still call it a week!  Would you believe that I still have a full list of "Best Parts"?  Well, I do and I am excited to share!

.....My primary students are learning about pathways and they were asked to look around the gymnasium and point out things that showed a zig zag pathway.  One student pointed out that the points at the end of the Jump Rope For Heart Flags all in a row made a zig zag!  Now that is a great observation!

.....Most of my students know how much I love bears.  This week one of my students gave me a new bear for my collection!  A cheerleader bear with our high school logo and homemade pom poms!  I am overwhelmed with gratitude......

.....Second grade students work all year to complete a portfolio.  Students are told that all portfolio work should be "neat and complete".  Honestly, that is a bit difficult in the beginning of the year for some students and we work all year to improve the process and the product.  This week students completed a piece of work for their portfolio regarding the concept of balance and I was so proud of how much they have grown this year!

.....If you have read this blog before you probably know about the PE Password.  I have a fifth grade student this year who has embraced the concept of the PE Password like no other student before.  He tells me the PE Password every time I see him!  While many days this happens multiple times in one day it brings a smile to my face every time!

....Students in an upper elementary class were deciding on turn taking order and without any hesitation, several groups used rock-paper-scissors to make the decision!

.....I am fortunate to have a student teacher with me and it was great to see him take more of the teaching responsibility this week.  It is wonderful to be a part of helping the next generation of professionals!

.....Our Fuel Up to Play 60 Student Ambassador group missed a meeting this week due to the winter weather.  I made an announcement one day this week so that I could meet briefly with the group to plan the next meeting.  Before I could get back to the gymnasium the entire group was there and ready to go!  Now that's enthusiasm!

.....Fourth grade students were recently given an assignment to complete a Fitness Wheel at home.  I do not often give homework but this year I decided to use the idea of homework to help students make some connections between school and home.  The idea of this assignment was to write down activities that were done outside of school that contributed to their physical fitness.  I was so proud of the activities that students shared on the fitness wheel!  One student even connected it to our current Healthy Highway road - Perseverance Path!

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  North Park Physical Education