Monday, February 2, 2015

The Best Parts of My Week 1/26/15--1/30/15

Hi everyone,
     Another week of stops and starts as winter is in full swing!  Each week I keep a notepad in the gymnasium and as these "best parts" happen, I jot them down.  Despite the short week, my notes are plentiful!

.....This week a student teacher began his experience with me at North Park.  I enjoy being a cooperating teacher for many reasons.  I always learn something new from my student teachers, and I hope they benefit from my experience!  I was impressed this week as students became comfortable right away with our new student teacher.  Some asked him to tie shoes, others showed off their skills, and many more asked for help!

.....Fitness Frankie to Go came back this week after having weekend adventures of horseback riding and fun in the snow!  

.....Primary students are working on the concept of balance.  They are exploring many different ways to balance using all kinds of equipment in a station format.  We are so fortunate to have so much equipment and I always enjoy this unit because students have so much fun and work so hard to balance on see-saw rockers, balance boards, balance beams, exercise balls, duck walkers, and more.  One of my first graders commented that she balanced better when she was calm and steady!  I found myself sharing that sentiment all week long and students agreed that it worked for them too!

.....Upper elementary students are learning about the components of Physical Fitness and have been participating in fitness stations that focus on each component.  On the second day of the station activities one of my fourth grade students told me that his muscles felt better and are stronger after having done the exercises!

.....During the Physical Fitness stations this week one fifth grader was encouraging a friend to work hard at doing push-ups correctly.  As I was walking around to each station I heard his encouraging words.  He looked at me and said:  "I'm the motivator!"

.....Third grade students are learning about the components of Physical Fitness as well and participate in fitness testing for the first time this year.   In addition, they are introduced to pedometers and wear them on a daily basis for PE.  This week I noticed that a third grade student had what looked like his own pedometer or accelerometer attached to his pocket.  I asked him about it and he said that he got it for Christmas and that his mom wears one too.  What a great example of family support of physical activity!  

.....Our exit question this week was "Did you challenge yourself?  We discussed ways to challenge yourself even when something was easy and students came up with some great challenges!  One student was participating in the push-up station where students had a variety of push-up exercises to try.  One student asked to borrow an exercise ball from the abdominal exercise station so that he could do push-ups while his feet were balanced on the ball.  Now that's a challenge!

.....If you have read this blog in the last few weeks you know that the National Circus Project was at North Park for Circus Week a few weeks ago.  One of my fifth grade students who became quite good at the diablo told me that his dad was going to buy him a diablo!  He was so excited.  I asked him to bring it in when he gets it so I can see it!

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  North Park Physical Education