Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Best Parts of My Week - 2/16/15--2/20/15

Hi everyone,
     I finally felt like I was back in the groove this week.  Aside from President's Day on Monday, we were in school every day on time and all day!  Once again, there were so many great moments to share!

.....Our Fuel Up to Play 60 Student Ambassador group has come together so nicely this year.  This is the first year that we put together a group of students to be leaders and good examples of healthy choices for our Fuel Up to Play 60 program and while I had an idea of what I wanted to accomplish, I knew that it would be a year of learning and figuring out the best way to move forward.  The week began with a meeting before school with an amazing group of students eager to be leaders and work together.  We talked about the success of our Brain Break Week and then students entered the Physical Activity Play details on their FUTP60 dashboard after we brainstormed a list of reasons why we loved it.  We started to discuss the next project which will involve trying a new vegetable.  Students came up with a great list of vegetables to try:  kale, spinach, turnip, and even seaweed as in sushi!

.....Fitness Frankie to Go arrived back to school sporting a new shirt with a peace sign on it!  He went to ballet class, jazz class and had quite a bit of healthy food!

.....As a result of the generosity of a local paramedic group and support from our building principal, our fifth grade students will be participating in CPR awareness training next week.  This week I discussed this opportunity with our students and talked about the need for this important life skill.  One student shared that at some point in the future she will be taking a babysitting course that will include CPR training.  It was a great connection and I could see other students nodding along as they realized the potential value of this training.  This of course led to a discussion of babysitting in general and I shared that when I was a babysitter I earned $1.00 per hour!  They couldn't believe it!

.....I am absolutely loving a new app called Plickers.  I learned about this app on Twitter and it is amazing!  It allows me to ask a question and get immediate feedback from every student.  I used it this week with a fifth grade class and they seemed to like it too.   I can't wait to use it with more classes.  I love technology and when something like this comes along it makes me love technology even more!

.....The Science Fair was held at my school this week and I was not able to use the gymnasium for part of the day due to the location of the projects.  PE was held in the classroom for the morning classes and we had such a great time using Go Noodle!  One of the activity segments involves a simulated roller coaster and the inevitable screaming that happens when you ride one.  I'm not really a roller coaster kind of person so the virtual reality type was just fine for me!  Anyway, students were moving along to the music and screaming at the appropriate time.  Students were pretty good about keeping the noise in check but it was a bit loud.  Just as students were screaming at the appropriate time, the classroom teacher walked in.  I apologized for the noise but she smiled and said that she loved Go Noodle and they did this one all the time!  

.....The Science Fair day includes an evening session during which students and families come back to school to view the projects.  This year the event included some Science activities that students and families could participate in.  One of the activities was a QR Code scavenger hunt and Physical Eddie was one of the scavenger hunt items!  He was very excited to be asked and many students and families found him in the library.  He was happy to be found!

.....The week ended with primary students creating pathways using a variety of equipment.  Students have been learning about the importance of moving in straight, curved, and zig zag pathways and have been making connections between pathways, and letters, designs, movement, and shapes.  One of my second grade classes made the words PE out of bowling pins!  They wanted to make PE Rocks, but did not have enough pins!

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  North Park Physical Education