Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Best Parts of My Week! 4/28/14 - 5/2/14

Hi everyone,
     What a week!  I started back to work this week after being out as a result of shoulder surgery.  I was eager to get back to work and got the "ok" fro my doctor as long as I did not use my arm - no small task when you are a PE teacher!  I knew that I was going to need to rely on my friends and my students for help.  I was overwhelmed with the welcome back that I received!  Everyone has been so kind and helpful.  North Park is the BEST!  I hope you enjoy reading about the best parts of my week!

.....Every day this week some of my fifth grade students came down to the gymnasium as soon as they arrived to school and helped me to set up and get ready for the day.  They are awesome!  All of the students were so caring and thoughtful and asked all week if I was feeling better. 

.....Since I am still wearing a sling to school to protect my shoulder (and prevent me from over-doing it) I wanted to explain to my students why I was wearing a sling.  After I explained, most of the students had some questions or comments.  In one class a student commented that I must have a lot of perseverance to come to school when I can only use one arm!  Perseverance is something we talk about often as part of our Healthy Highway program and it is clear that the students understand the meaning!  Another student commented that we are lucky to have doctors who can help us!  What a mature response!

.....This week I began to review for some end of year assessments.  I created flash cards with questions and answers and students used the cards to play "Flash Card Tag".  After we played one of the students commented "that was easy"!  I replied that he must have worked hard this year to learn so that it seemed easy!  

.....I received a package in the mail today from an amazing teacher in Oregon who I met at the SHAPE America Convention in St.Louis last month.  I had introduced her to Fitness Frankie; one of our mascot bears.  Fitness Frankie goes on adventures to learn about exercising and eating healthy foods.  She thought he was cute (so do I) and this package contained a new bear from St. Louis for our collection - Muscle Missy!  What a thoughtful gift! Muscle Missy will make her debut soon!

.....NYS Math testing took place this week and as a result the schedule for specials changed.  While I teach most of the PE classes in my school, there are two other traveling PE teachers who have a few classes.  The change in schedule meant that we needed to switch some classes so I was able to teach some students that I don't normally have.  I told students that I felt lucky to be their teacher for a day and they responded with applause and "yay"!  I felt very welcome!

.....My primary students began the week with some Yoga activities.  When the walked into the gymnasium and saw the Yoga mats they smiled and said "Yoga - Yay!"  During one of the classes our new pre-school group came for a visit with their parents and joined right in!

.....Last year I created the PE Password as a way to focus attention on PE vocabulary without sacrificing activity time.  This week a fourth grade student told me that she found two PE Passwords in a book she was reading!  Later in the week she brought the book in to me and pointed out the words - stamina and endurance!  I guess the PE Password program is working!!!

.....Since May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month, I plan several activities to promote the need for exercise and healthy choices.  One of those activities is Operation Healthy North Park.  As I was putting informational letters in the mailboxes this week one of my colleagues said:  "this is my favorite event"!  What great support!  On Tuesday I was putting up a bulletin board to display Operation Healthy North Park after school.  It was a challenge with my arm in a sling!  A student waiting for a parent who was at a school meeting offered to help.  When I explained what the bulletin board was for she responded that she knew about OHNP because she read about it in my newsletter!  She was a great help!  By the way, Operation Healthy North Park is open to all!  

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  North Park Physical Education

See you next week!