Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Best Parts of My Week - 10/15/12--10/19/12

Hi everyone,
     I had a great week!  How about you?  I hope you enjoy reading about the "Best Parts of My Week"!

.....At the beginning of the week I decided to bring Fitness Frankie to one of our Healthy Highway meetings.  I know that he is "just a bear" but there is something about him that is irresistible!  Everyone at the meeting agreed!  I still had him in my hands as I walked down the hallway as the students were arriving.  The students were all smiles as they patted his head and said hello!  It has been fun introducing him to our new friends!

.....My upper elementary students played a game called "Frogger" this week.  The focus is on playing safe, playing fair, and being honest.  One of my students came up to me during the game and said:  "Somebody got me but I don't know who it was".  She was asking for advice as to what to do in this situation.  She cared enough to play fair and be honest!  I was proud of her!

.....We are working hard on our cooperative unit and I am always impressed by the students approach to the lessons and their willingness to share when it comes time to de-brief.  Cooperative education is so powerful, and while it is sometimes difficult, I am always reminded to "trust the process".  I have seen such tremendous growth in my students in recent years and I enjoyed a fifth grade group this week playing moon ball, working together, creating a plan for improvement, and enjoying their success!

.....At the end of the week a student who is new to our school this year began PE class by saying that "it is so much fun to be in a new school because you get to learn so many new games!"  It was great to hear that she is enjoying the new experience of North Park!

.....Our week ends with Fitness Friday and while my schedule is pretty busy, I try to invite different classes to a special Fitness Friday activity when I can.  This week I invited two first grade classes to a Fitness Friday activity at the end of the day.  It was so much fun!  The students and teachers were so involved!  This collaboration of students and teachers alike create such a positive experience for all!  We exercised, we danced, and we all earned a mile along the Healthy Highway!


I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  http://classrooms.hydeparkschools.org/webpages/MRobelee/

See you next week!