Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Best Parts of My Week! 3/12/12--3/16/12

Hi everyone,
   The excitement is building for Jump Rope for Heart!

.....Last Friday we held our Jump Rope for Heart kick-off assembly.  Students and staff alike are excited about our upcoming event!  One of my fifth graders stopped by to ask me if they could raise funds as a team!  Great idea!

.....We start everyday by saying the North Park Pledge.  This is a pledge that encourages students to do the right thing, even when no one is watching!  It also encourages healthy choices by incorporating the Healthy Highway Pledge.  Earlier in the year there was contest to design a new background for the pledge.  A winner was selected and the new poster was designed.  This week the new posters arrived and they are amazing!  Our principal delivered a new poster to the gymnasium while I had a class and the students were very excited!  One of the first graders suggested that we say the Pledge right then and there!  We did!

.....As we practice our jump rope skills to get ready for Jump Rope for Heart, I have been teaching the upper elementary students some new tricks.  One of my favorites is the "Rope in Rope" trick where a jumper uses an individual jump rope while jumping in a long turning rope.  It is quite a skill to master and watch.  This year one of my fifth grade students got it on the first try!

.....I had the pleasure of listening to a second grade student read Fitness Frankie's journal entry during the morning announcements this week.  She wrote it herself during Writer's Workshop!

.....My primary students have been learning how to jump rope too!  They work very hard at it even when it is a challenge.  One student commented on another student's jumping by saying:  "You're a natural!"

.....I absolutely love the look on the faces of my kindergarten students when they jump rope successfully for the first time!

.....As I was waiting for a class in the hallway this week a third grader walked by with a big smile.  She said:  "We are moving two miles!"  She was on her way to move her Healthy Highway class car in the hallway and was very excited!


Thanks for reading about the "Best Parts of My Week!"

Visit the North Park PE website if you would like more information about the PE program at North Park!