Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Best Parts of My Week....6/13/11-6/17/11

Hi everyone,
Field Days continue as we look forward to summer vacation!

.....On Monday we held our Field Day for third and fourth graders and on Tuesday we held our Field Day for Students in kindergarten, first, and second grade. Both days were fantastic! We had wonderful parents, teachers, grandparents, and even some extended family members volunteer! The students were wonderful and a great time was had by all! I was able to visit with many of the volunteers during the events and enjoyed hearing the compliments about student behavior!

.....As you can imagine, organizing Field Day is a tremendous amount of work. I needed some help this week setting up and taking down some equipment that was just too heavy for me to lift by myself. I don't ask for help as often as I should, but this week I decided to put out an all call for help. In a matter of seconds, I had so many colleagues willing to help that the task was done in no time at all! I am so fortunate to work with such wonderful people!

.....One of the Field Day events is an obstacle course that I set up in the gym. I decided to keep the obstacle course up for the rest of the day and as a special treat, allow my younger classes to take some turns using the course. They were thrilled! They had such a good time and appreciated the opportunity!

.....I received some spontaneous hugs from some students on the way IN to the gymnasium this week! I guess they knew they were going to have some fun!

.....Sometimes teachers make connections in the places that seem the least likely. This week on the way inside at the end of the last PE class of the year, one of my fifth grade students said "I am going to miss you!" I was happy to know that I had made that connection. I am going to miss the fifth graders too!

.....I was in the lobby on Friday morning greeting students as they arrived. A first grader came up to me and said: "Guess what I have for snack today?" I responded: "What do you have for snack today?" She said: "An apple!" I responded: "That's a terrific healthy snack!" I guess they know that I am paying attention and care about their healthy choices! I DO!

.....I taught a fifth grade class this week how to play Ultimate Frisbee. I was explaining to the students the best way to toss a Frisbee and one of my students commented that it was just like skipping rocks. He was absolutely correct! I am always surprised by the connections and analogies that students make. This is an analogy that I will use in the future!

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week"!

Visit the North Park PE website to learn more about our program.

E-mail me with comments or questions at: northparkpe@yahoo.com