Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Best Parts of My Week....11/8-11/12

Hi everyone,
These are the "Best Parts of My Week!

.......A parent stopped me in the lobby early this week and said "I LOVE your program!" I thanked her, of course, for the kind words. This took me by surprise because this is a new parent that I had not yet met. She obviously knew who I was (maybe it was the sweats....). She continued to talk about how hard it is for kids to stay fit and she appreciated all that our program does to promote and encourage healthy lifestyle choices! That conversation started off the week on a high note!

..... I was chatting with some students while I waited for their teacher to pick them up after PE. We were talking about our Fit Kids program and our new venture - Healthy Highway. I told the students that we were going to have a Healthy Highway assembly on Monday and during the assembly they would learn some new ways to earn points and "miles". One of the students asked if we were going to do the Healthy Highway Dance. Now, this was a fifth grade class and when the question was asked, I was not sure if they were looking forward to it or not. I answered: "Of course we are going to do the Healthy Highway Dance!" The students replied excitedly that they loved the dance! We all started spontaneously doing parts of the dance! I am so happy that they are looking forward to it! I am too!

.....I started a lesson on pathways with my primary students and I was talking about maps and roads. Students had a jump rope on the floor and were moving in many different ways along it as if it were a straight road. One of my students raised his hand and told me that he had a fortune cookie recently that said that he could travel down any road that he wanted to! I agree!!!

.....My upper elementary students continue to use our PE Packs to use pedometers at home. I was talking with one student waiting for a bus and it was raining. I gave him some suggestions to use the pedometer indoors and he said that he would figure out some way to use it. The next day I was reviewing log cards from the pack and I discovered that he had logged over 1200 steps. This was particularly significant to me on many levels, but mostly because this student found a way to exercise despite obstacles in the way!

Enjoy your week! Thanks for reading about the Best Parts of My Week!