Monday, October 11, 2010

The Best Parts of My Week....10/4-10/8

Hi everyone,
It was a pretty busy week at North Park......actually, they all are! That's what keeps me going! Enjoy the best parts of my week!

.....Our school is beginning a journey this year by participating as a pilot school for Healthy Highway. This is a program that was created by Wendy Cooper. I met Wendy five years ago at a conference and I have watched her program grow. I am pleased to say that we are on the "Road to Success" now as a Healthy Highway school! This program uses traffic signs and a highway theme to teach and reinforce safety rules, fitness, and nutrition concepts to elementary children. We were fortunate to have Wendy at our school this week for training. It was a terrific day and we have a wonderful group of teachers, food service staff, administrators, and support staff that will make this journey one to remember! I am looking forward to this program!

.....I received a card from a kindergarten student this week. In the card, the mom of the student wrote me a note to say that her child wanted to write me a card and that although she physically wrote the card, the words and feelings were all her child's. The kindergarten student wrote to tell me that she loved PE and how PE makes you tired but strong! That card made my day! I went to the student's classroom to thank her and she was all smiles! So was I! Sometimes the words and smiles of a student are all you need to know that you are on the right path and making a difference!