Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Best Parts of My Week - 10/13-10/15

Hi everyone,
It was a short week due to our Columbus Day Holiday, but there was no shortage of great moments during the week!

.....I smiled as I watched the pure joy on the faces of kindergarten students as we played a game called "Clean Up Your Own Backyard"! This is such a simple game that reinforces the concept of over and under, yet the students absolutely love it! I sneak in some "Garbage Math" during this activity. Students count the "garbage" at the end of each round and we add it up together. I am quite sure that they did not realize that they were doing Math during PE, but PE is so much more than just "throwing out the ball" and playing games!

.....While I watched a third grade class struggle with a new cooperative activity, I realized that the value and need for cooperative/adventure education can not be underestimated. I am looking forward to the journey that this group will take as they learn to work together and problem solve for the greater good!

.....Listening to my fifth grade students answer my question about what was important during a cooperative game that we had just played called "Scrunchie Tag" was an amazing experience. We use something I call the "Magic Microphone". It is a microphone that is "Magic" because it only allows the person holding it to speak. Students shared ideas about the importance of playing fair, having fun, helping their classmates during the game by "donating" a scrunchie to someone in need of one, and playing safe while tagging. The power of cooperative/adventure education continues!

Have a great week!