Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Best Parts of My Week....9/20-9/24

Hi everyone,
It was once again a great week with many stories to share! Enjoy!

.....I was playing a game called the Incredible Shrinking Gymnasium with a group of my primary students. The object of the lesson is to pretend that the gymnasium shrinks little by little so that students learn to move safely in small spaces. I added something to the lesson this year that I called my "Magic Button" which makes the gymnasium grow larger and larger. I must be a pretty good actress because more than one of my students asked me if the button really works!!!!

.....During this week we held our annual "Meet the Staff" nights. We hold a night for grades K-2 and a separate one for grades 3-5. While special area teachers are not required to attend both nights, how can I pick which one is more important? The answer is that I can't, so I attend both nights. I am so glad that I did! Each year I meet so many interested parents and this year was no different! I had many wonderful conversations including one with three generations of interested family members; a mom, grandmother, and great grandmother! How wonderful for this child that there are so many people willing to be a part of her education! Another conversation included a parent asking me about a new program that I created called "PE Packs to GO!" I mentioned this program to my fifth grade students and while I got some positive reaction, I was not quite sure how it was received overall. This parent that came to visit me on "Meet the Staff" night said that the first thing that her child spoke about at the end of the day was the fact that 5th graders were going to be able to use the "PE Packs to GO!" I guess they were listening and excited!

.....At the end of this week I was playing a game called "Bubbles" with some primary students. This game involves students moving throughout the gymnasium holding hoops around them as if they were "Bubbles". The object of the game is to keep your "bubble" from popping by not touching any other "bubbles" . I'm sure that you know the phrase "Sorry to burst your bubble"; but how many six year old students know and understand that phrase? Well, sure enough, one of my primary students was playing the game and as she went by me during the game she said " don't want to burst your bubble!!!" with a big smile on her face! That made me smile and the fact that she understood the phrase was not lost on me!

I am looking forward to what fun awaits me next week! Have a great week!