Sunday, April 23, 2017

The Best Parts of My Week - 4/17/17--4/21/17

Hi everyone,    
     After the feeling of being “overbooked” for the last few weeks before vacation, it was nice to have a relatively quiet but enjoyable week! 

…..Students in grades 3-5 are working on the Fitness Gram Physical Fitness Test.  I actually call them “challenges” because of the reaction that I get from students when I say the word “test”.  Early in the week several classes were completing the PACER running challenge.  It was wonderful to see and hear all of the compliments to classmates after their hard work.  Students score for a partner and I ask that they are very quiet so that the runners can hear the beeps.  I know that students want to cheer each other on and, while that is terrific, students can’t hear the beep that tells them when to run.  I encourage students to save all of those kind words and actions until after the group has finished.  Students understand this and inevitably a round of clapping and cheering ensues when the last runner finishes.  This week I saw lots of high fives to partners and fellow runners and one fourth grader said to another:  “That was amazing!”


…..I am always looking for new ideas.  I guess I just can’t help myself!  This week I was creating a warm-up for my primary students using a math activity that a Kindergarten teacher shared with me.  It involves dog picture puzzles and numbers and as a fourth grade class was entering the gym one day I was cutting out the dog pictures.  One of the students asked what I was doing and when I told him he said:  “ Awwwwwww…….that’s so cute!”  Later in the week I saw this same class again and the same student asked me how it went!  I told him I’m still working on it but would definitely let him know how it turns out!

.....Some other new activities I tried this week......

Students worked on underhand and overhand throwing and used the flags as targets.


My version of a "low tech" sport wall.......Students threw underhand and overhand and collected points based on the targets that were hit.


…..My primary students finished up some yoga activities early in the week using a Cosmic Kids Yoga story about an octopus that was nervous about performing a dance in front of her sea creature friends.  I asked classes to pay attention to the important message of this story because I would be asking them to share what they thought at the end of class.  The message, of course, was about having courage and relying on your friends to support you when you feel nervous or anxious about something.  In one particular class there was a second grade student who had read the morning announcements for the school that very morning.  It was his first time doing it and he immediately raised his hand to share what he thought the message of the yoga story was.  I asked him to share his thoughts and he was absolutely correct about the message.  I told him what a great job he did reading the morning announcements and asked him how he felt before he started.  He admitted that he was nervous but was glad he did it.  It was a great teachable moment!   

…..Our monthly Fuel Up to Play 60 Student Ambassador meeting was held this week and on the agenda was logging into the student dashboard to enter the details of our Veggie Taste Test Day event.  Students were so proud (as were we) of how many points they have earned!  It has been a great year with our ambassadors.  We planned our next (and last) event of the year, which is a Bike Rodeo and Safety Clinic.  We discussed how this year we are going to have a “Food Art” station as the healthy snack station and we brainstormed a list of different kinds of fruit to be used to create some food art.  I am excited to see the student creations!  Finally, we worked on the School Wellness Investigation and while students knew most of the answers in terms of PE and our school culture of wellness, they were eager to find out the answers needed from our cafeteria manager.  While there is always room for improvement, the investigation showed that we do pretty well when it comes to physical activity, nutrition, and family/community involvement!

…..One of my second graders was excited to tell me:  ”I did Cosmic Kids Yoga at home!”  Isn’t that the best when activities we do at school transfer to home???

.....Since May is just around the corner I worked on getting the Operation Healthy North Park bulletin board ready to go this week.  As I was getting it ready during an afternoon when students had already been dismissed it generated quite a bit of interest from our staff who are excited to begin the project!  



…...I had decided earlier in the year that I would wait to announce my retirement to my students until after Spring Break.  This was the week…….I knew that it would be emotional but I did not realize that the discussions would be so interesting!  I started by asking students how many knew what the word retirement meant.  Most of the older students knew and one said that retirement is when you can’t do your job anymore because it is too hard for you or your tired!  I assured the students that this is not the case with me but it is time to move on to something else.  A fifth grader added that when you retire some people get a pension.  It surprised me that he even knew what a pension was!  Next, I asked students if they knew that several adults at North Park are retiring this year and most everyone knew that.  Finally, I asked if they knew that I was retiring at the end of this year.  There were a wide variety of responses to this question for sure.  Some knew, others were surprised, and some were absolutely shocked!  Then the questions began:  “Do you have to retire?....Who will be our PE teacher?  Will we still do Student Ambassadors? Will you come back to visit?”  After the first few classes I anticipated these questions and answered them before they were asked which seemed to help the discussion.  Since our fifth grade class is moving on to the middle school next year I commented that in fact we are all leaving and there was a cute non-verbal reaction to this statement.  One student drew his hand across his forehead in a silent “WHEW!” 
I also mentioned to students that I have been teaching at North Park for a really long time and remarked that some of their parents were my students when they were in elementary school.  The quizzical looks on some of their faces were adorable as they tried to fathom this in their brains!  When I asked a second grade class how long they thought I have been at North Park one student raised her hand and responded:  “Since my DAD was here!”  I smiled and agreed that yes, I was her dad’s PE teacher.  A fourth grade student said:  “You have been here for generations!”  I never thought of it that way but I guess I have!  People often say the phrase:  “It seems like yesterday” but in this case it really does!

…..The week wrapped up on Friday with a Fitness Friday surprise visit to a 3rd grade class.  This class is hosting Basketball Betty and with all of the events of the last few weeks I have not seen her very much.  She was happy to participate on the desk of a third grade friend as we did some Go Noodle activities.  Despite some technical difficulties with a slow connection, students had fun and earned their Fitness Friday mile.  They were so patient!  I saw this same class later in the morning for PE class and they were excited to learn that because they attended PE on Fitness Friday as well they earned a second mile! Basketball Betty had fun with Uno Fitness during PE!  


…..A comment that ended my week with a smile:  ”I’m glad we are in PE today.  It’s my favorite special because it’s the only special where you get to relax!”  This particular student is always incredibly motivated and excited to participate and I am so glad that he realizes the benefits of physical activity! 


I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!" Visit my website: North Park Physical Education to find out more about our Physical Education program.