Sunday, October 2, 2016

The Best Parts of My Week - 9/26/16--9/30/16

Hi everyone,
   The first month has flown by!  I have learned all of the names of my new students and finally feel like we are settled in our routine.  Even though we are in a routine, the “best parts” still surprise me!  


…..Students in grades 3-5 create class contracts by tracing and decorating their hands.  I use the hands as a border and then student generated rules are written in the middle.  These contracts are hung on the gym wall to remind students of their responsibilities during PE class.  It is a lot of work to cut out all of the hands but it is worth it when the contracts are done.  This week I was cutting out the hands and I was taken with several hands created by fifth grade students.  Not only were they beautiful and creative but they also contained great messages.  One even says “I Love PE!”  (Artistic credit to Kiera, Jazmine, and Erica)
                   



…...I started a new lacrosse unit this week.  We are fortunate to have some new equipment and this is the first year I have taught lacrosse to my students.  It is a growing sport in our area and only a few students play.   It was great to see the student’s faces when they arrived to PE and realized that we were starting this unit.  Those who play  were so willing to be good role models and help those who have not played enjoy a new opportunity!


…..When I start a new unit I ask students to “turn and talk” about what they know and what they want to know about the new activity.  These conversations were especially important this week because I have not taught this unit before.  As students were talking I was impressed with the details of the conversations.  Students were on task and had great thoughtful comments to share.  Some students said that they did not know anything about lacrosse and wanted to know everything!


…..My goal chart includes an essential question, which I also call a “thinking in your brain” question.  I want students to think about the question each day as they learn different aspects of a unit or theme and then along the way we discuss their thoughts.  The essential question for lacrosse is “How can I compare Lacrosse to other sports?”  After a day or two of lessons I asked for some answers.  The student’s answers were terrific!  They compared lacrosse to tennis and said that the size of ball was similar and both sports have handles on the implements.  Another student compared lacrosse to basketball and this answer surprised me!  The student said that the sports were alike because of the way offense and defense were played.  Still another compared lacrosse to soccer and said that both sports include throwing the ball but each sport has different ways that the ball is thrown.  They are thinkers for sure!  


….Pete Charrette (@CapnPetesPE on Twitter) shares his wonderful resources and I often use his Super Heroes of PE cards to help students understand various fitness concepts.  Lucky for me my second grade teachers are using “Superheroes” as a theme this year!  This week I was introducing Captain Cardio and I quickly learned that the students were learning about circulation and cardiovascular endurance in Health class!  The connections are everywhere and students are happy to share those connections and are proud to tell me what they are learning in other areas.  Agent Agility was on hand to help me teach the concept of agility during a lacrosse lesson with older students and the connections they made were clear as they played a one-on-one game with a partner.  I encouraged them to “be Agent Agility!” Thanks Captain Pete!


….We had our first Healthy Highway assembly this year and it was a great one to start the year off!  Students were so well behaved and this assembly was a team effort as colleagues took part in it by sharing their expertise as we spoke to the students about Courage Crossroads.  Our school theme is all about having the courage to do the right thing and we always start the year off with this “road”.  I was proud to announce that our school was awarded the Let’s Move Active School National Recognition Award
and as I read the letter from Michelle Obama you could have heard a pin drop as approximately 500 students and staff listened in our cafetorium.  This first assembly sets the tone for the year to come but also acknowledges healthy choices during the summer.  Each year during the first assembly I have the pleasure of reading a book that I write each summer which details the healthy adventures that Fitness Frankie and I have during the summer vacation.  This year we included Muscle Missy as she had a healthy adventure with a colleague who traveled to California this summer.  Our fitness bears kept in touch by writing postcards and sharing pictures and then I wrote the book detailing the adventures in Fitness Frankie’s voice.  Not only is it fun to share the pictures and healthy choices, it is also fun to share with students how I make healthy choices in my own life.  Each year I also introduce our visiting bear.  This bear typically stays with us for only one year and it is a way to keep the students interested and to keep the program fresh.  Our visiting bear this year is Basketball Betty!  Students were happy to meet her!  Their task is to teach her how to make healthy choices and to earn miles that will help her travel!  Her first trip will take her to the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts.  At the end of every assembly we do the Healthy Highway dance.  This is a dance that uses car themed motions and it is an amazing to see students and staff dancing together!  It was definitely one of the “best parts of my week!


…..Back in PE class primary students are learning about how to move over and under objects as they create small obstacle courses.  I was surprised at the level of creativity of my second grade students!  One pair of students used the equipment in such a cooperative way that I invited them to share their idea with the class!  


…..Students in grades 3-5 are using pedometers during their regular PE activities.  Our class goal is 1,000 steps but during this week students were so excited because their step counts exceeded 2,000 during our lacrosse activities!  They could not wait to share their step counts with me!  


…..At the end of the week I received an email regarding my proposal for the SHAPE America National Convention in Boston.  It was accepted!  I am so excited and honored to be presenting!


…...As a second grader was leaving PE she said: “Everyday I go home and ride my bike when I get off of the bus!  I love that they want to tell me about their healthy choices!  These little moments are huge!  It reminds me that students are listening and taking their responsibility to make healthy choices seriously!


…..After school on Friday I was going through the Fitness Calendars that were returned.  I was surprised to see that a student who has an injury turned in a fitness calendar.  He did exercises that would not impact his injury and his mom wrote me a note to say that he did the best he could given the injury.  I had the chance to speak with this student on my way out and was pleased to see the smile on his face!  The fact that he continues to make healthy choices despite a challenge speaks volumes…….

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week"!  Visit my website:  North Park Physical Education to find out more about our Physical Education program.  








Follow me on Twitter!  @mrobPE