Monday, October 10, 2016

The Best Parts of My Week - 10/3/16--10/7/16

Hi everyone,
    We have been having beautiful fall weather and it has been a treat to be outside so much!  It was a great week and I am always happy to share the “best parts!”
   …..I was on my way back to the gym after setting up for my outdoor lacrosse classes on Monday morning and I walked past a student who was on her way back from breakfast.  She asked:  “Are we doing lacrosse today?” I responded that yes we were going to be doing lacrosse activities outside and she immediately replied: “YESSS!!!”  A smile was on her face and it also put one on mine!



…..We have a wonderful substitute teacher who regularly substitutes in our school. All of the students know her well and she always works hard to keep programs and projects going, even in a teacher’s absence.  Last week she substituted for a fifth grade teacher and was also on duty for a few days this week.  She brought the class to the gymnasium door on Monday morning and was pleased to tell me that she had helped the class to participate in Fitness Friday by having them do the “Chicken Fat” song and set of exercises!   


…..This week’s lacrosse activities included using the skills of cradling, scooping, throwing, offense, and defense in a variety of station areas that were set up with different targets, goals, and one-on-one games.  Students were excited to get going and as I was walking around the playing area one student remarked:  ”I’m going to ask my mom to sign me up for lacrosse!”  Another student said:  “Can I sign up to play now?  My friend plays for a town team so I can ask her.”  This is the first year that we have had enough equipment to create a lacrosse unit and I am so happy that students are enjoying the sport so much that they want to play outside of school.  If I can teach students the basics and get some of them excited to learn more I have met my goal!  


…..The lacrosse stations require quite a bit of equipment and as I have learned to work smarter, not harder, I have become more efficient at bringing equipment in and out of doors.  That being said, it is still quite a task and I don’t always leave myself a free hand to open the doors!  I was bringing equipment in with my hands full and a student walking down the hall noticed.  I was pleased at her helpfulness as she waited and opened the door for me.  This student happens to be one of our student ambassadors too!


…...A few weeks ago our maintenance department honored our request and painted some new four square courts on two different blacktop areas of our playground.  This week I was having lunch in my office and I noticed a group of students playing and enjoying the courts!  I have been teaching my second grade classes how to play and they have been coming back to tell me they are playing and enjoying the new courts during recess too!  It is such a simple thing to have had the courts painted and it has been so gratifying to see and hear that the students are appreciative and using them to have fun!


…..Students in the fifth grade were coming back inside after PE class and putting away their pedometers.  One student showed me her step count because she was proud to have exceeded the class goal of 1,000 steps.  Her pedometer read exactly 2016 steps!  She did not initially make the connection to the year 2016 and when I pointed out how cool that was she was surprised and then realized how cool it was too!  


…..Student birthdays are announced each day and I do my best to say Happy Birthday to students that I see on that day.  One of my students had a birthday this week and when I asked him the next day how he enjoyed his birthday he showed me the Fitbit he received for his birthday!  What a great gift that helps students become more active!  This week he has been showing me his step counts and we have had fun comparing our steps!


…..I met briefly with our Fuel Up to Play Student Ambassadors to remind them that next week we will be meeting for the first time.  They are so excited for the first meeting!  We have some new students in the group and I was pleased to see that some of our seasoned members were  automatically introducing new members to the group!  


…..Thursday was picture day and there is nothing quite like seeing students dressed up in their finest and ready to show their picture day smiles!


…..I have often said that my focus in this blog is on the positive things that occur everyday, even through challenging times.  This week I had the opportunity to help out when our when principal was out of the building by reassuring students and solving some problems……..


…..Fitness Frankie to Go is ready for his 2016-2017 healthy adventures!  On Friday I had the pleasure of delivering him to the second grade students whose turn it was to take him home for the weekend.  I asked students to give me some examples of healthy adventures that he might have at home with students and the answers were right on the mark!   Student answers included going outside and do activity, brushing your teeth, eating apples and bananas, and going for a run.  The students were every excited and I am truly grateful to have such excellent classroom teacher cooperation and support.  One teacher even has a special chair for him!

…..On Friday a fourth grade class was taking their turn to participate in our lacrosse stations.  I told the students to make sure that the "coast was clear" before they aimed and threw the ball at a target.  Some of the targets had nets and others did not.  One particular target was a hole that students were trying to throw the ball through.  A group of students was working together and one of the students accidentally threw the ball too soon.  A student retrieving her ball on the other side said in the nicest voice:   “Excuse me….I have a beautiful face and I don’t want to ruin it!”


…..When students leave PE class they show me how many steps they logged on their pedometer by tapping on the correct range of step counts. A pocket folder hangs by the exit door and students are asked to "tap and go".  The top number is 1001 or more steps.  One student tapped twice and said:  “I double tapped because I had over 2,000 steps!”  Creative…..and correct!


I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week"!  Visit my website:  North Park Physical Education to find out more about our Physical Education program.  








Follow me on Twitter!  @mrobPE