Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Best Parts of My Week - 11/3/14-11/7/14

Hi everyone,
     How did we get to November?  November is a very busy month for school and family but it is also a month during which we should pause and give thanks......I am so grateful for the many opportunities in my life.  I teach in a wonderful school full of dedicated professionals and wonderful students and families and I have an amazing family of my own.   I hope that by sharing some of the "Best Parts" my gratitude is felt by all who read this blog.  

.....I have often talked about my "PE Password" program.  This week I overheard one of my fifth graders as he checked out the PE Password.  He said:  "Biceps!  I was right!".   It was great to hear learning going on without me even being present!

.....Students have been learning and practicing Trust Leans in preparation for climbing our Rock Wall.  I always demonstrate with a willing student volunteer.  This week when I asked for volunteers so many hands went up!  When I demonstrated by having the student be the "leaner" while I was the spotter, I could feel the incredible trust that the students had in my ability to keep them safe.  I remember that everyday......

.....On Tuesday I had a terrific opportunity to attend and present at the Southeastern Zone of NYS AHPERD Election Day Conference.  The energy in the sessions and the quality of the conference was amazing!  I always appreciate the opportunity to present and share some of my lessons and I met so many dedicated professionals who want to deliver quality Physical Education in their schools!

.....Wednesday was National Healthy Eating Day and we celebrated with Wellness Wednesday!  In PE students were asked to contribute by writing down their healthy snack.  The message was received!

.....Cardio Cal finished his adventure in a fifth grade class this week and I asked students to share some of his experiences in their class so that a journal entry could be created.  It was delightful as students told me about the Science and Math lessons that Cardio Cal was a part of!

.....Our before school day care program uses the gymnasium in the morning so that students can be active.  I am happy to share the space and so many of the students volunteer to help me!  This week in particular one student was available everyday with a smile and "Do you need any help?"

.....As students finished up our unit on Cooperative Education, they climbed our traverse Rock Wall.  I am always impressed with the care that the spotters give to their climber but this year seemed special as students gave "high fives" to climbers as they finished the wall,  and so many encouraging words were heard while students climbed!

.....Friday morning I was walking down the hallway as students were arriving.  One of my first graders smiled and asked:  "How is your day going so far?"  It was 9:05 am!  I replied that it was going well!


I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  North Park Physical Education