Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Best Parts of My Week: 11/25-11/26

Hi everyone,
     Yes - the dates on this blog reflect only two days!  It was a short week as we did not have school Wednesday-Friday for the Thanksgiving holiday and Monday and Tuesday were only half days for students as parents and families came to school for report card conferences.  It has been a wonderful break and I am ready to begin December!  Even so, there were some special moments last week that I would like to share as the "Best Parts of My Week".....

.....During Monday afternoon I created a bulletin board in the hallway with pictures of our recent cooperative unit.  The theme of this bulletin board is "Why PE?" and in September I asked third grade students to contribute their thoughts.  I decided to continue the theme and add approximately 80 pictures as an answer to the question.  I did not anticipate the interest in the bulletin board!  I immediately noticed parents stopping in the hallway looking at the pictures and smiling!  The next morning, students were doing the same as they looked for themselves in the pictures!

.....My upper elementary students are learning about the sport of volleyball.  As they have been learning  different skills, I have asked students to work in groups of three.  One of the three has been assigned the role of "Coach".  The coach's job is to watch students performing a task and identify when students use specific cues and complete the skill correctly.  I have been very proud of our "Coaches"!  They have embraced their role and have been a positive influence in helping their friends learn correct techniques! When I asked the students if it helped them to know that a coach was watching them practice they said yes!

.....After a class that had completed some Volleyball skill stations this week one student exclaimed:  "That was really fun!  I think I dreamed that I played Volleyball!"

.....Each year I challenge my fifth grade students to be the best at the PE Password program.  I explain that a fifth grade class a few years back embraced the program so well that they told me the PE Password every chance they got, even if it was not during PE class.  This year's fifth grade has taken this challenge to heart!  One fifth grade class in particular passed by the gym and without knowing if I was in there or not, each student said the PE Password loud and clear as they walked by!  

.....I have been enjoying the success of our Fitness Frankie to Go program this year!  Students and families have been so supportive and the healthy adventures have been wonderful! This week the Fitness Frankie to Go packs came back with terrific pictures and stories of a variety of healthy adventures from bicycle riding to healthy food choices!

.....As students left school on Tuesday for the Thanksgiving break there were so many smiles and wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving to all!  I could not be more thankful for my school!

I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"  To find out more about the PE program at North Park, visit my website:  North Park Physical Education