Monday, June 25, 2012

The Best Parts of My Week! 6/18/12-6/22/12

Hi everyone,
    This past week was the last week of school and it was full of "best parts"!

.....Our PTA treated our students and staff to an all natural fruit ice pop this week.  I was in charge of getting the ice pops and distributing them.  I had a second grade class at the end of the day and I thought they would like to be my "Pit Crew".  They did an amazing job and we distributed more than 350 ice pops in no time flat!  At the end of the distribution, my "Pit Crew" and I got to enjoy our ice pops!

.....I only had classes for the first two days of this week as there were special events and early releases for the rest of the week.  As a special treat, I took my primary classes to the playground for their last PE class for the school year.  One of my kindergarten students, not in my class at the time, was out at recess and she came up to me to show me all of the yoga poses she had learned this year!  She was very good at them!

.....My second grade students completed a PE portfolio for the first time this year.  They worked very hard all year long and I was getting the portfolios organized and ready to go home.  As I looked back at the work they had completed, I was proud of their efforts and knew that their families would be just as proud as I was!  It was fun bringing them to the classroom teachers to distribute!

.....Mid-week we held our moving up day ceremony for our fifth grade students.  I am always surprised by how much the students have grown and I am always proud of their accomplishments.  During this ceremony I am able to witness their accomplishments in so many areas as they are recognized for their hard work.  I am also privileged to be able to honor several students for exemplary work during PE class.  Not only were the families smiling and applauding, the students were smiling and applauding each other!  At the end of the ceremony, our principal asked our students to recite our school pledge one more time and asked them to take the message with them as they grow and learn.  I noticed a former student in the audience reciting the pledge right along with everyone else!

.....After school one day this week I had several former students come to visit.  I love catching up!  While they were visiting, a mom of one of the students came in to chat as well.  While we were chatting the students were reminiscing about their years at North Park and they even sat on the circle where they gathered as kindergarten students in PE class!

.....The last day of school is exciting, yet sad......we take pride in the learning and friendships that took place, but we are sad that a year is ending because we know that next year will always be different than this one, and never quite the same....We have quite the celebration on the last day, complete with streamers and bubbles!  Many of our fifth grade students, while happy to have completed elementary school, are in tears as they leave on the last day.  It is wonderful in a way because to me that means that we have had a positive influence in our students' lives......

.....There is so much work to be done to finish the school year and I always wonder how I will get it all done!  I am not alone and despite the deadlines and work to be done, there was much camaraderie among my colleagues this week.  Unfortunately we are saying good-bye to many who are moving on....some to other buildings and some to other ventures.....  We wish them all the best!

.....It was a great school year!  Summer vacation is upon us and I will resume this blog in September! Thanks for reading about the "Best Parts of My Week"!


Visit the North Park PE website if you would like more information about the PE program at North Park!