Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Best Parts of My Week - 4/9/12--4/13/12

Hi everyone,
     Due to the mild winter, Monday and Tuesday this week were "snow days" so it was a short, but fun week!

.....It has been fun to have a student teacher working with me at North Park!  As time goes by she is teaching more and more!  The students are getting to know her and it has been wonderful not only to be able to share my experience and knowledge with her but also to learn new ideas from her as well!

.....Exercise Ernie spent Spring Break with one of our secretaries who vacationed in Tennessee!  She made an AMAZING Book about his adventure!  She and her family took great care of him!  Pictures  of his adventure are posted on the North Park PE website !

.....This week students who will be entering kindergarten in the Fall came to school for some screening and information.  Our wonderful PTA moms helped out and they asked if Fitness Frankie and Exercise Ernie could be there to greet the new students and their families!  What a great idea!  They mentioned to me at the end of the week that everyone loved them!

.....We began a striking unit this week and our primary students were using lollipop paddles and balloons to work on their eye-hand coordination and striking skills.  Balloons are always a big hit and we were encouraging the students to keep track of the number of times in a row that they could hit a balloon.  As we were interacting with students in various parts of the gymnasium, I heard one of our kindergarten students counting in Spanish!

.....As we continued to add to the striking unit activities, one of our kindergarten students commented:  "This is such a challenge!"

.....One of my upper elementary students asked me:  "Do you eat cake sometimes?"  I replied that of course I do eat cake sometimes and that treats are fine once in awhile.  He went on to tell me that his uncle had a birthday recently and they enjoyed his birthday cake!  We recently finished some lessons on nutrition to celebrate National Nutrition Month.  Our school is a Healthy Highway school and as a result, we are constantly encouraging students to make healthy choices.  I guess he thought he should check with me!

.....On Friday morning I spoke with a parent who was holding two large bags of apples!  She told me that her daughter insisted on bringing in apples for her birthday treat to share with her class!  That was AWESOME!


Thanks for reading about the "Best Parts of My Week!"

Visit the North Park PE website if you would like more information about the PE program at North Park!