Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Best Parts of My Week - 1/16/12--1/20/12

Hi everyone,
     The school was buzzing this week in anticipation of gymnastics!  It was a great week!

.....We had a great week participating in different gymnastics activities!  The students are always so excited to begin and I heard many comments this week about how fun PE is!!!!

.....I watched as a third grader patiently tied the shoes of another who needed help after gymnastics......

.....A third grader stopped me in the hall to tell me that he had brought in a healthy snack - trail mix - for his birthday as a treat to share with the class!

.....As I was informing a class that we would be having a Healthy Highway assembly this week, several responded with an enthusiastic fist pump and a "Yesssss!"

.....Some of my third grade friends read their Fitness Frankie journal entry over the PA system this week.  They did a terrific job and wistfully said good-bye to Fitness Frankie when they left the office!

.....As I was getting ready for a class early this week, a student stopped by and called in "Hi" to me across the gym.  He wanted to tell me about the jobs that he had this week and that he was excited to be coming to PE to participate in gymnastics!

.....I had a t-shirt on this week that says:  "Every BODY needs PE!"  One of my kindergarten (yes kindergarten) students read my t-shirt and explained to me that PE is good for you because you exercise in PE and it helps you to get healthy!

.....We had a wonderful Healthy Highway assembly this week.  We are driving down "Consideration Court" and we challenged students and adults to consider the feelings of others, consider how they take care of themselves and participate fully in the upcoming No Name Calling Week by calling everyone by their first names only.......

.....I am always happy when my students make some connections between Science and Physical Education.  I was happy this week when some fifth grade students asked to borrow a heart rate monitor to use in a Science project.  The students will be investigating the effect that music has on heart rate!

.....We held a school-wide Fitness Friday activity using our PA system.  I took Fitness Frankie to a fifth grade class to exercise.  We had a great time!  On the way back I chatted with another student and asked if he had a good time during Fitness Friday.  He had a big smile on his face as he answered YES!


I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"

Visit the North Park PE website if you would like more information about the PE program at North Park!