Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Best Parts of My Week 9/12/11-9/16/11

Hi everyone,
    Well, it was the first full week back to school and it was a week full of "best parts!"  I hope you enjoy!

.....We began the week with our first North Park Healthy Highway assembly of the year!  It was great fun!  I was impressed at what the students remembered from last year's program and the fact that everyone seems excited to continue our journey down the Healthy Highway!  Fitness Frankie shared his summer adventure with everyone and Exercise Ernie arrived to smiles and laughter!  I am always proud of how our building comes together, students and staff alike, to embrace the programs provided!

.....I was introducing the PE Rules of the Road to my kindergarten students this week.  I explained that classes would have the opportunity to earn their "PE Driver's License" and I showed them the road on the wall that class PE cars would travel down this year.  At the end of the road there are two paper trophies to signify where students complete a lap.  One of the kindergarten students asked what they were.  Another student immediately answered "oh, that's the Piston Cup!"

.....Several of my classes earned their "PE Driver's License" this week after learning and demonstrating the PE Rules of the Road.  They were very excited to receive their class car and it encouraged other classes to work hard to earn their "PE Driver's License" too!

.....One of my students this week stopped to tell me that her class was making very healthy choices in the cafeteria this week!  She thought I should know about it and I was happy to hear it!

.....We have decided to add the Healthy Highway Pledge to our existing North Park Pledge that students say every morning during our morning announcements.  I thought it would be a neat idea to make pledge cards and have the students sign the pledge by class.  It was great to see the students embrace this idea  and the pledge cards look great!

.....We recently had several retirements in my school.  One of my students asked me this week how many more years it would be before I retired.  I responded:   "I am having too much fun to retire!"  She agreed that my job was indeed fun, unless I had to send someone to the "Stop and think about it" center!

.....Fitness Frankie was given a gift by our friends who traveled this summer with us and enjoyed his adventure as well.  The gift was a small bear from Dublin, Ireland who we named "PE Paddy".  I had him hanging around the gymnasium this week and several students recognized him from Fitness Frankie's summer adventure pictures and were excited to see him!

.....At the end of the week two of my students enjoyed a birthday and instead of cupcakes, brought in a healthy alternative snack as a treat.  At North Park, students who do this earn a "Fit Kids" bracelet and earn one mile for their class.  The two students were in the same class and were telling me about the healthy treats they brought for the class.  I gave them their bracelets and one other student raised his hand and told me that for his birthday he was going to bring in his grandma's home-made, whole grain chips.  I said that sounded great and I asked him when his birthday was.  He responded:  "April!"  I guess he is planning ahead!


I hope you enjoyed the "Best Parts of My Week!"

Please visit the North Park Physical Education Website for more information about our program!