Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Best Parts of My Week....4/11/11-4/15/11

Hi Everyone,
It was a fun-filled week as we looked forward to our Spring Break! I hope you enjoy the "Best Parts of My Week"!

.....I was fortunate to be able to obtain a grade-level grant from our PTA to bring in a local Yoga instructor this week. "Miss Kathleen" arrived on Monday to teach some Yoga activities to many of our primary classes. She introduced the students to "Mr. Zoobles" and "Mr. Twisty" who helped us all with our breathing and our Yoga poses. After the first group, Miss Kathleen asked where Fitness Frankie was! I did not know that Miss Kathleen even knew about Fitness Frankie but she had seen him on our website! I immediately went down to the class that was taking care of him this week and borrowed him! He took part in Yoga with all of us! You can see the pictures of our Yoga experience by visiting the North Park PE website.

.....Fitness Frankie has a new sleeping bag! One of the student in his "host" class made him a colorful paper sleeping bag to rest in during his nights at North Park! It was so thoughtful and he looked very comfortable in it!

.....My upper grade classes have been enjoying some basketball activities this past week. I always encourage my students to cheer for their teammates, but also for their classmates who may not be on their team for a particular PE activity. I was thrilled this week to hear all kinds of cheering for teammates and classmates during a variety of basketball activities!

.....As a follow-up to a Skype session that I did with some of my students and students in another district school recently, I asked my third graders to each write down a question that they wanted to ask during our next Skype session with the same class. I was impressed with the questions! One of my students wants to know if the goals for their PE classes are the same as ours! Now that's a great question!

.....On Friday I was encouraging my students to enjoy Spring vacation by going out to play and exercising during our week off. I told them that Fitness Frankie was going to enjoy his week at school with our office staff who offered to take care of him. One student raised her hand and said "How come Fitness Frankie doesn't get a vacation?"

.....Our school has a drama club run by our very talented Speech Therapist. This year's production was Charlotte's Web. There is a tremendous amount of work that goes into the production by students, parents, and staff and I am always in awe of the final product! I attended the opening performance of the play this week and the performance did not disappoint! Fitness Frankie attended as well and the students were happy to see him!

.....Our office staff are wonderful ladies who work very hard to keep our school running smoothly. They generously offered to take care of Fitness Frankie during our vacation as they are still working in the office. They were so excited when I delivered him on Friday afternoon! I can't wait to hear about their week!

I hope you enjoyed reading about "The Best Parts of My Week".

Visit the North Park PE website to learn more about our program.

E-mail me with comments or questions at: northparkpe@yahoo.com