Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Best Parts of My Week....3/28-4/1

Hi everyone,
The year seems to be flying by! It's usually around this time of year that I realize how much the students have grown and that another year is going faster than the last! I hope you enjoy the "Best Parts of My Week"!

.....I delivered Fitness Frankie to his "host" class. They were so excited (including the classroom teacher) that they asked me if I could hear them cheer from the office when their class was announced!

.....My primary students were participating in a Healthy Highway Race Car Warm-up. One of the students came up with a great idea! She suggested using arms as blinkers so that other students would know when students were entering and exiting the track! Why didn't I think of that????

.....My fifth grade students were playing a game called "Nutrition Concentration". I play a song during the game called "Superpower Vegetables" by Jump with Jill. I was asking the students about strategies that they used to find matches or pairs of vegetable cards. One of the fifth graders said that when he sang along with the song and said "Superpower Vegetables", he always found a match! He said that saying those words gave him "super powers"!

.....I had taken a picture of Fitness Frankie in his new spring hat (there is a picture on his blog). I was showing the picture to some of the students this week and as soon as they saw his picture they smiled and said "Awwwwwww, he's so cute!"

.....My fourth graders were allowed to take home our "PE Packs to Go!" this week. It was their first time using the packs which have a pedometer and log card to use at home. I challenge each group sharing a pack to get as many steps as possible and I announce those packs with more than 10,0000 steps. They were so excited to take the packs home!

.....Recently, I had the opportunity to contribute to an article that Wendy Cooper, founder of Healthy Highway, was writing for PE Links 4U Website. I was asked to write a portion of the article about how our school had implemented Healthy Highway. I was grateful for the opportunity and this week it was published! If you would like to view the article, visit the PE Links 4U Website and click on the Healthy Highway article!

I hope you enjoyed reading about "The Best Parts of My Week".

Visit the North Park PE website to learn more about our program.

E-mail me with comments or questions at: northparkpe@yahoo.com