Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Best Parts of My Week....1/3-1/7

Happy New Year everyone!

Vacation was terrific but I am happy to be back at school! Here are the best parts of my week!

.....I was greeted by my office staff with a book of Fitness Frankie's adventures during the week! I was touched by their willingness to participate by taking care of Fitness Frankie, but also because they took the time to make a book for all to enjoy! If you do not already know, Fitness Frankie has his own blog now! Read about his adventures each week at: The Adventures of Fitness Frankie!

.....I tie a fair amount of sneakers during the course of a day. One day this week I had tied a first grader's sneakers in a double bow as I always do. They rarely come untied. At the end of PE class, his shoes were untied on his way out of the gymnasium. I asked him to stop on the side of the hallway so that I could tie his shoes again. I thought I remembered tying them so I asked him if I had already tied them during PE. He replied yes, so I then asked him how they came untied. He said: "well, when I run really fast, they come untied!"

.....I shared parts of Fitness Frankie's book with my students this week. I enjoyed many smiles as I showed the book; even from my fifth grade students!

.....Fitness Frankie attended PE this week with the K-1 class that was assigned to take care of him. He learned to "make snow" with white balloons, play hoop tag, and play "Save the Animals Tag"! He had a great time in PE and I enjoyed watching the students take care of him!

.....Our Gymnastics unit begins next week. Some of the equipment was delivered during vacation and the rest was delivered on Monday. We are very fortunate to have some very nice equipment that we share among our elementary schools. My students absolutely love gymnastics (what's not to love?) so when I saw the wide-eyed looks on my students faces as they arrived to PE this week, it definitely made the "Best Parts" list!

.....My third through fifth grade students have been learning about volleyball. I was able to add to my budget two Airlite cubes that I brought out for the first time during the volleyball unit this week. These cubes were amazingly easy to keep up in the air and my students were ecstatic to play with them! It was great to see the excitement during play!

It's been a great start to 2011! Thanks for reading about the Best Parts of My Week! I would love to hear about yours!