Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Best Parts of My Week....1/10-1/14

Hi everyone,

2011 is in full swing and it was an exciting week!
These are the "Best Parts".....

.....Our Gymnastics unit began this week. We have some wonderful equipment which includes bars, several different balance beams, incline mats, springboards, and a large carpeted mat area that students use to participate in warm-ups and other rolling, balancing, and jumping activities. The excitement in the air this week was incredible! Students from kindergarten to fifth grade couldn't wait to get started! One of the best reactions of the week though, was the wide-eyed looks of the kindergarten students who entered the gymnasium for the first time to see the gymnastic equipment set up!

.....Fitness Frankie continues to grow in popularity! Two of his first grade friends read about his adventures on Tuesday, while he was enjoying a week in a fourth grade class! He spent a snow day on Wednesday at my house, Thursday night at the Board of Education meeting, and Friday exercising to Monkey in the Middle! Read about his adventures in his blog: The Adventures of Fitness Frankie!

.....Fitness Friday makes the list of "Best Parts" this week too! I have mentioned in the past that our PA system allows music from an ipod to be played throughout the school in all of the classrooms. From time to time I organize a Fitness Friday activity during which music that students know is played and all students and teachers exercise at the same time. Our favorite is "Monkey in the Middle". This is a great song from "Physical ED" by The Learning Station. During the song students take turns being the "monkey" or the leader, and perform an exercise or action for all to follow. I spoke to students during the day to ask if they enjoyed it. (I try to get to different classrooms during the song, but I can only get to a few each time.) The overwhelming response from students and teachers was YES!

.....Friday afternoon we were treated to a performance by our band and chorus in anticipation of this coming week's Winter Concert. It was wonderful to listen to the concert! I am always in awe of the talents of our students and music teachers! The students were so proud of their hard work and so was I! One of our fourth graders asked me later if Fitness Frankie could come to the watch the night-time concert!

.....My week ended with a "Fitness Frankie" delivery to one of our teachers who wanted to take him home so that he could go to gymnastics practice with her child! I can't wait to hear about his weekend!

Thanks for reading about the "Best Parts of My Week" I would love to hear about the the "Best Parts" of your week!

Visit the North Park PE Website by clicking here!

E-mail: northparkpe@yahoo.com