Monday, December 27, 2010

The Best Parts of My Week....12/20-12/22

Hi everyone,
As the holidays approach and the excitement grows in our school, as in many others I am sure, the best parts of my week keep getting better!


......On Monday we held our annual Brotherhood Pageant. This event was started by a former music teacher who sadly passed away this past summer. This event is surely a big part of her legacy here at North Park and while there are few of us left who remember that it began with her, I could not help but think how proud she would be to see that the Brotherhood Pageant lives on! During this event, students and staff alike donate food to those in need. We all sing a variety of holiday songs and this year several "North Park alumni" came back to enjoy the holiday spirit!

.....Well, Fitness Frankie (Our Healthy Highway Race Car Bear) enjoyed his first week in a third grade class and during our morning announcements, two students from that class read about his adventures to the entire school. After the announcements, I was stopped in the hallway by some kindergarten students who asked me if I had heard about Fitness Frankie's week! They told me that they had heard that he was eating healthy snacks! Fitness Frankie is on vacation this week, as am I, but our office staff offered to take care of him. I can't wait to hear about his adventures next Monday! Click here for Fitness Friday pictures with Fitness Frankie!

.....Winter Workshops was a great event on Wednesday this week. Our principal created this day several years ago as a way to celebrate the holidays, include all students, and use the last day before our vacation in a productive and enjoyable manner. During this day students attend four one hour workshops that are facilitated by staff of our building, parents, and administrative staff in the district. Many different workshops are offered which include activities like chess, cheerleading, music, making healthy snacks, painting winter murals, jeopardy games, holiday crafts, woodworking and more! A colleague of mine and I offered a circus activities workshop. It was great fun! A former student volunteered to help us our and we taught students how to spin plates (plastic of course), juggle, walk on the "high wire", balance feathers, use angel sticks and have fun with the diablo! We even learned a few tricks ourselves! Circus music in the background and a parachute big top helped to make this a great day and definitely one of the best parts of my week! Click here for Circus Activities pictures!

Thanks for reading about the "Best Parts of My Week!" I will be enjoying vacation this week, and will be back in 2011 ready to begin the new year!